Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default [DF] Fast NPC stats notation

I've been crunching through making a sandbox game document for DF (see Robert Conley, the Welsh Piper, and Jeff Rients for most of the advice I've used so far), and I've understood a simple advantage of D&D: the fast notation of race, class and, most important to this, level. By contrast, with GURPS, all the little things that make up a "level" are spread through dozens of advantages and skills, as well as attributes.

How much information do we need to note if we just want a quick note of how nasty this guy might be if the players choose to pull out the swords on him? I've fiddled with a couple of bang skills for this purpose, but they only solve part of the problem. The issue is how much other detail we need. Which advantages do we list? Do we list all attributes, or just have a generalized "Attribute" listing with one or two exceptional attributes listed next to it?

(The special bang skills with which I came up are one near the normal bang skill, but including ALL skill points and points in talents other than combat skills, and another one called Fighting! which is Average instead of Very Hard and includes all the points put into fighting skills and covers all those skills. Thus, the Ninja template as represented in Ninjas becomes Ninja!-15 (DX+0) and Fighting!-17. For NPCs, this works well enough. I don't know if I'd use it for PCs for any reason.)

Also, one thing that comes into play is that there are loads of items needed for defenses. There are three active defenses though about half of everyone won't have Block, DR and DB (for those who have Block) as well as having to note HP and HT. (By contrast, for whacking someone, you need a weapon skill and damage.) Is this all really needed, or is there a corner one could cut?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attributes, dungeon fantasy, gurps, stats, wildcard skills