Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
backstabby

Default Cult membership card and Curse! Dragged Off To Snarkham Asylum

I had the cult membership card and my friend played Curse! Dragged Off To Snarkham Asylum on me. I said I was not a cultist, so I couldn't lose the cult membership card (which is an item anyway), but I also said that I was a cultist, so I couldn't become one. Can I do this?
backstabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
RL

Default Re: Cult membership card and Curse! Dragged Off To Snarkham Asylum

Typically, all of a card's effects are atomic as the card is resolved. So I don't believe you would be able to switch your Cultist status midway through resolving the card's effects.

EDIT: I still maintain this opinion, even after read the following FAQ entry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Q. I have the Cult Membership card. When am I a cult member? How often can I change it?
A. You can change it at will, whenever you wish, for whatever purposes you wish (and no others). For instance, you can count as a cult member for purposes of gaining +2 bonuses in combat, while not counting as a cult member so you do not give the only other non-Cultist a level. If this is confusing, you should probably avoid reading any eldritch tomes you might encounter.

Last edited by RL; 05-21-2012 at 11:34 AM.
RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Bampop

I thought the Cult Membership card just fools people into thinking you're a Cultist the same way Fake Beard makes monsters treat you as a Dwarf. It doesn't make you a cultist.

So if you get dragged off to the asylum, they won't try to get you to join a cult that they already think you're a part of, and you can't lose your status as a cultist if you're just pretending to be one.

Maybe?
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
backstabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
Typically, all of a card's effects are atomic as the card is resolved. So I don't believe you would be able to switch your Cultist status midway through resolving the card's effects.

EDIT: I still maintain this opinion, even after read the following FAQ entry:
Originally Posted by The FAQ
Q. I have the Cult Membership card. When am I a cult member? How often can I change it?
A. You can change it at will, whenever you wish, for whatever purposes you wish (and no others). For instance, you can count as a cult member for purposes of gaining +2 bonuses in combat, while not counting as a cult member so you do not give the only other non-Cultist a level. If this is confusing, you should probably avoid reading any eldritch tomes you might encounter.

I think that this points in favor of what I did, but does not answer it completely, you could still interpret it either way.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
RL

The reason I disagree is that, while you can simultaneously be a Cultist for some things and not be a Cultist for others, the Curse! card is a single thing, and you have to choose to be one or the other when resolving its effect.

Andrew, I can see that we need an official ruling on this. Would you please give us one?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
backstabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
Andrew, I can see that we need an official ruling on this. Would you please give us one?
Yes, yes we do.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
backstabby

Another thing. Even if you can't change your class twice in one card, what if you say that you're a cultist? You can't lose your cultist class because it's given to you through an item, so would you lose the cult membership card instead?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Team Andy

I don't know how to quote from other threads but:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...embership+card

This thread they say you can be a cultist for one thing but not another, they mention winning conditions which would imply that if you had to pick, picking a cultist would end the game (if everyone else was a cultist.)
Fairy, Munchkinomicon
Booty, 2, Impossible
Axe Cop
Quest
Team Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Ash Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstabby View Post
I had the cult membership card and my friend played Curse! Dragged Off To Snarkham Asylum on me. I said I was not a cultist, so I couldn't lose the cult membership card (which is an item anyway), but I also said that I was a cultist, so I couldn't become one. Can I do this?
I don't know off the top of my head what the exact effects of the curse are, but if the gist is "Suffer X effect if you are a Cultist, and Y effect if you are not," then I would say you have to pick one effect or the other, and if one does not apply, then you have to take the other.
Ash Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
backstabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Plissken View Post
I don't know off the top of my head what the exact effects of the curse are, but if the gist is "Suffer X effect if you are a Cultist, and Y effect if you are not," then I would say you have to pick one effect or the other, and if one does not apply, then you have to take the other.
Still, if this is true (which i'm not sure it is, see forum post above) then choosing cultist wouldn't do anything since you don't have a cultist card to discard.

Tags
cult membership card, cultist, curse!, munchkin cthulhu