Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
jivjov

Default Do I need Go Up a Level?

I'm currently confused on if I need to purchase Go Up a Level or not. All of my expansions are from May of 2010 or later, except for De-Ranged. Should I buy Go Up a Level, or will I be okay if I just wait for the Spring 2011, colorized Reprint of De-Ranged?

Thanks!
jivjov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
RevBob

Default Re: Do I need Go Up a Level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivjov View Post
I'm currently confused on if I need to purchase Go Up a Level or not. All of my expansions are from May of 2010 or later, except for De-Ranged. Should I buy Go Up a Level, or will I be okay if I just wait for the Spring 2011, colorized Reprint of De-Ranged?
By the way you ask, I'm not sure whether you do or don't have De-Ranged...so I'll hedge my bets a little.

If you do not have De-Ranged, hold off and get the reprint. Everything matches, you don't need GUAL, and you're set.

If you do have De-Ranged, you can still go with that option. However, buying GUAL is less expensive than rebuying De-Ranged, and nobody says you have to use all the cards you'd get with GUAL. You could save a few bucks by buying GUAL, fishing out the few De-Ranged cards to update your De-Ranged set, and pitching the replaced cards and the rest of the GUAL set into the trash.

You should not do both, though. GUAL is a patch for older sets; if you have all-new sets, they're already up to date and GUAL has nothing to offer you. Just buy one or the other.

Personally, in your shoes I'd skip GUAL and get De-Ranged in color, to have a complete color deck. Also, there are some minor changes that were deemed to small to include in GUAL - for instance, monster enhancers now say "+X to Monster" instead of the old "+X to Level of Monster." Getting De-Ranged in color means every card is up to date and uses the same wording, which is important to the more OCD folks among us. ;)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
jivjov

I do currently have an older printing of De-Ranged. I went on a Munchkin spending spree, and in the span of a week, I picked up every Fantasy/Classic Munchkin product my local store had (with the exception of More Good Cards, since I knew CWBH was coming out soon). I'll hold off for the De-Ranged reprint, because I really do want a full-color deck.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivjov View Post
A few things to consider:

GUAL is $12 and has a handful of cards from De-Ranged that were deemed too difficult to update with just a quick wording change, plus guidelines about other changes. The replacement cards use the same "all brown, all the time" color scheme as the original cards. (It also has over a hundred cards for other sets, but based on your comments, these cards would be largely useless for you -- although, of course, you could always shuffle them into your existing pile o' Munchkin. They might come in handy if you should buy pre-Change printings of other Munchkin games down the road, of course.)

The new De-Ranged printing is $20 and has all the cards already updated. All the art (other than the card backs) has been redone in color. If consistency of appearance is important to you, this is probably the way to go. But it's eight bucks more, and you've already invested quite a bit into your Munchkin collection, so I wouldn't fault you for saving a bit of cash here if you wanted.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
jivjov

$8 is totally worth having a deck that's all colored, vs. a hodgepodge. Thanks for the concern though!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
majikfreak

I have recently repurchased munchkin 2-3 in full color and am looking for 5 (de-ranged) to add it in full color. I bought GUAL before I knew any better. I have passed my older versions of 2-3 and will pass one 5 to a friend as soon as I get it in full color. After I played with an full colored collection and a resent game day... I made it a mission to make my collection full color. it's just much nicer IMO...

and as soon as CWBH's is available, I will have that in color too...

Problem is none of the local retailers have de-ranged in color around here...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
jivjov

I don't think its out yet. The sticky on this forum lists it as coming "Spring 2011", which depending on what calendar you're using could be anytime between now and June, lol.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfreak View Post
Problem is none of the local retailers have de-ranged in color around here...
5 is just now starting to ship to distributors and should be in stores in a couple of weeks.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
majikfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
5 is just now starting to ship to distributors and should be in stores in a couple of weeks.
Thank you for the update Phil... that makes me so happy
Old 08-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Potatoguy

I picked this up for more cheat cards. It add 20 just to fantasy. More to other games. Tossed in a few of the mate and other dupe cards. I don't care about them not being colored. Consider it for more cheat cards. You can never have enough!
Potatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de-ranged, go up a level, reprint