Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Vali

Default Re: How much stuff can a hireling carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
If
And, the final example: The Loud Hairy Alien Sidekick from Star Munchkin has 4 arms, which means it technically uses 4 Hands of Items for you. Yes, this means that the Items can only be Hand Items. The Loud Hairy Alien can not use Armor, Headgear, Footgear or any other Items that do not use Hands.
Does this mean The Loud Hairy Alien Sidekick can carry and use 4 hands worth of items and I can carry and use 2 hands worth of stuff also for a total of 6 hands?
Vali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vali View Post
Does this mean The Loud Hairy Alien Sidekick can carry and use 4 hands worth of items and I can carry and use 2 hands worth of stuff also for a total of 6 hands?
Yes, that is what the LHA is supposed to do.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Vali

Alright awesome thank you very much for clearing that up me.

So if the card states it can "carry and use" means you can basically add that to your 2 hands already.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vali View Post
Alright awesome thank you very much for clearing that up me.

So if the card states it can "carry and use" means you can basically add that to your 2 hands already.
Not quite. If a Hireling card says it can carry and use "one Item," that means one Item, and doesn't specify what kind of Item. So, as a specific example: The Elf Hireling may carry and use one Item that an Elf can use. Again, this means one Item: It can be Armor, Headgear, Footgear, use a Hand or even two, but it does not mean that the Elf Hireling has 2 Hands for you to fill (i.e., you can't give the Elf Hireling 2 Hand Items). The only restriction on the Item is that it can not say, "Not usable by Elf." The Hireling cards that come with Munchkin 4 and 5 say carry because that factors into the rules concerning what happens to a Hireling when it is discarded.

The Loud Hairy Alien specifically states that it gives you 4 more Hands, which means you can only have it carry and use 4 Hands worth of Items for you.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Vali

I see that clears up alot. I used to play this correct way. But it seemed overpowered so the people i play with agreed not to use the hirelings like that. Then we bought Star Munckin and ran into the loud hairy alien and things changed again. Thanks for clearing up all the confusion =]
-vali
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
roughruff4

Another question regarding the Loud Hairy Alien Sidekick and his items - I know when you sacrifice him and he has items on him that items are destroyed but what happens when he's carrying items for you and he's stolen by another player with a card like 'better offer'? Does the items stay with that player or go with the sidekick?
roughruff4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

If your Hireling (in this case, Sidekick) is taken away by a Trap/Curse, by Bad Stuff, or by a change in loyalty, the items go with him!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #18
King

Hello,

We had the idea of mixing Star munchkin with the main Munchkin, no expansions. At some a point a ' Help me out here' was played and a 'Big rock' (2hands/big) was taken by the turn player who was now winning the monster. However she had both hands full prior to 'HMOH', a sidekick 'loud hairy alien' and no big item . I would like to ask can the 'loud hairy alien' carry and use an only-hands but big item like 'Big rock'? Even if that sidekick can carry and use a hand(s)/big item is it legal to play at this point the 'HMOH' since you can't rearrange your carrying-using items during combat and this is mainly what she did, giving 'Big rock' to the sidekick. Was i robbed of a glorious victory?
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:39 AM   #19
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I don't see anything about that sequence of play that is illegal. HMOH says you must be able to use the Item you take; I would say that giving it to a hireling counts as "use" in this context, because you're getting the benefit from it.

Warning to posters: most of this thread dates from before the 2010 rule revisions, so earlier rulings may no longer be valid.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 AM   #20
King

Hmm ok about the 'HMOH'. Can the 'loud hairy alien' carry a hand(s) big item like 'Big rock'? The rules in star munchkin state that whatever the sidekick can carry must be stated in the sidekick card's context. Does this rule apply for the bigness of an item?
King is offline   Reply With Quote