Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
TheWinterBard

Default Clarification for Munchkin Fu

Two clarifications requested (please? we had a massive argument about one of them :) ):
Firstly, what does the bad stuff on the oragami dragon mean? It says to lose the stuff you can't use... Does that mean anything that has been played with a "cheat" card or due to a style (say, because of toe fu, you have several footgear items)... that seems to override those rules, then... Or, it could be read as you can pick up your rivals' things and discard them, because /you/ can't use them...? (just kidding- but it's munchkinly).

Also, if someone uses Haiku Fu and makes up a poem to run away... And then someone uses the Great Wall to stop them after they have finished the poem- do they still fail to run away? After all, they had to /attempt/ to make a poem, so it was a try to run away... in other words, does the automatic escape or the automatic failure apply? I think the failure does, just wondering about other peoples' thoughts.. This is the one we were arguing about :)

Thanks.
TheWinterBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
MIB2826

Default Re: Clarification for Munchkin Fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterBard
Two clarifications requested (please? we had a massive argument about one of them :) ):
Firstly, what does the bad stuff on the oragami dragon mean? It says to lose the stuff you can't use... Does that mean anything that has been played with a "cheat" card or due to a style (say, because of toe fu, you have several footgear items)... that seems to override those rules, then... Or, it could be read as you can pick up your rivals' things and discard them, because /you/ can't use them...? (just kidding- but it's munchkinly).
I'd rule that you lose the stuff that you couldn't use because of lack of hands, being the wrong race, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterBard
Also, if someone uses Haiku Fu and makes up a poem to run away... And then someone uses the Great Wall to stop them after they have finished the poem- do they still fail to run away? After all, they had to /attempt/ to make a poem, so it was a try to run away... in other words, does the automatic escape or the automatic failure apply? I think the failure does, just wondering about other peoples' thoughts.. This is the one we were arguing about :)

Thanks.
I'd rule that they should suffer the bad stuff, if only because of making poems during a game of Munchkin.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

First question, to be clear: Anything you can't use would be anything you have in play and aren't using due to race/class/sex restrictions or lack of appropriate slots. So, if something's Cheated, you wouldn't lose it because you can use it because you are Cheating.

On the second, you can't trump an automatic escape with an automatic failure unless the card says so (something like, "even if the escape was automatic"). You also can't use the Great Wall on a successful roll. It's too late! Sorry, Jan, but just because you don't like munchkins writing poetry during a game is not a good reason to make Great Wall a specific exception to a long standing general ruling. Bad Jan, bad. . . ;-)
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
TheWinterBard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
On the second, you can't trump an automatic escape with an automatic failure unless the card says so (something like, "even if the escape was automatic"). You also can't use the Great Wall on a successful roll. It's too late!
So, the Wall is for use before any attempt has actually been made? What does it say, anyhow? I don't own Munchkin Fu, so I can't check :)

And, sorry, the poetry's in the rules :P

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-05-2010 at 11:35 AM.
TheWinterBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
MIB2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
First question, to be clear: Anything you can't use would be anything you have in play and aren't using due to race/class/sex restrictions or lack of appropriate slots. So, if something's Cheated, you wouldn't lose it because you can use it because you are Cheating.

On the second, you can't trump an automatic escape with an automatic failure unless the card says so (something like, "even if the escape was automatic"). You also can't use the Great Wall on a successful roll. It's too late! Sorry, Jan, but just because you don't like munchkins writing poetry during a game is not a good reason to make Great Wall a specific exception to a long standing general ruling. Bad Jan, bad. . . ;-)
It's why I said that "I'd rule" instead "This is the law: ".

And it's not that I dislike Munchkin writing poems during a game, it's because I dislike poets.
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Yes, but you see, "I'd rule. . ." from you or me means much more than "I'd rule. . ." from, say, the guy selling pretzels on the street on my way to work. Let's always remember the important lesson learned from Peter Parker: With great power comes great responsibility. And, with great responsibilty comes a monthly beating from some super-villain and an on-again, off-again romance with MJ. ;-)
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Bob200

So by this you are saying that a ninja can discard the whole hand and get the automatic run away and not be stopped by the great wall?
Bob200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob200 View Post
So by this you are saying that a ninja can discard the whole hand and get the automatic run away and not be stopped by the great wall?
aye, i have a simmilar question, can you use great wall to stop a ninja after he has discarded his hand to run away?

as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
On the second, you can't trump an automatic escape with an automatic failure unless the card says so (something like, "even if the escape was automatic"). You also can't use the Great Wall on a successful roll. It's too late!
i haven't got my FU with me, but i'm pretty sure the great wall says, "even if the escape was automatic" so you can use great wall after the poem!? and can use it after ninja escape!? as neither of these are successful rolls, but indeed automatic escapes before the roll!?

Last edited by fishman; 03-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
i haven't got my FU with me, but i'm pretty sure the great wall says, "even if the escape was automatic"
I do have my Fu with me, and you're mistaken. A very good reminder that people shouldn't try to comment on rules questions from memory.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I do have my Fu with me, and you're mistaken. A very good reminder that people shouldn't try to comment on rules questions from memory.
sooooooooooo, is that a no then? and what about the ninja after the wall?
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote