Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 AM   #1
Tallor

Default DR (Tough Skin... No Signature?)

In a certain GURPS book (not sure if I should reference), I found that a character template had "DR 3 (No Signature, +20%; Tough Skin, -40%) [12];", which I found particularly weird.

Isn't tough skin just... tough skin? Realistically, you may have leathery skin or the bulky fingertips of a wrestler, but would that really be something so noticeable..?

As an addendum: It was part of a template, and perhaps the No Sig was just to round it up to 200 points... but you could have gone with DR 4 (Tough Skin) [12] and be done with it. :P
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: DR (Tough Skin... No Signature?)

This pretty much explains it all.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
In a certain GURPS book (not sure if I should reference), I found that a character template had "DR 3 (No Signature, +20%; Tough Skin, -40%) [12];", which I found particularly weird.

Isn't tough skin just... tough skin? Realistically, you may have leathery skin or the bulky fingertips of a wrestler, but would that really be something so noticeable..?

As an addendum: It was part of a template, and perhaps the No Sig was just to round it up to 200 points... but you could have gone with DR 4 (Tough Skin) [12] and be done with it. :P
Elephant hide is DR 4, per Campaigns. DR 3 hide isn't quite that, I suppose, but it's very substantial stuff, tougher than bear or boar hide...big crocodile hide maybe? Without No Signature it would be pretty obvious by touch and probably also quite noticeable by sight if skin is exposed.

DR is, in general, not a subtle trait. Adding Tough Skin doesn't change that.

(Also, referencing what book you're finding things in is usually a good idea. It means that people can put things in context if they have the relevant source, which is occasionally very useful.)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #4
Warlockco

No clue on what book you are looking at, but just going with Powers.
No Signature would be so that the DR(Tough Skin) would be practically undetectable from normal skin.
Warlockco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:48 AM   #5
Tallor

So someone like Superman would have No Signature, whereas Killer Croc... not so much. :P
Old 05-24-2016, 04:02 AM   #6
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Can my biker dude get a bonus to Intimidation if he has DR (Tough Skin) 2? :P
Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
So someone like Superman would have No Signature, whereas Killer Croc... not so much. :P
I'd agree, though from Ghostdancer's link it seems that RPK might not apply the same rules in a supers context. (And indeed Supers does not use No Signature on DR.)
Old 05-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'd agree, though from Ghostdancer's link it seems that RPK might not apply the same rules in a supers context. (And indeed Supers does not use No Signature on DR.)
Imagine the paperwork though. "You get a +100 to notice this guy has super-strong skin."
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
In Supers, we sometimes use Tough Skin (no Signature). As PK said, it's not realistic, but I think it works just fine for Supers.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Phantasm

I admit, I'm one of those that does not add No Signature to DR for my supers builds. As PK explains in the link, supers is often its own wonky genre with different genre assumptions. Therefore Superman and Killer Croc both get DR (Tough Skin) without No Signature although they look radically different.

I should note that folks with obvious DR like Ben Grimm I normally don't give Tough Skin to. Folks like that are rarely taken down with touch attacks anyway. This can get slightly wonky compared to most expectations, as it makes Ben Grimm immune to Rogue's "bare skin to bare skin" power leech!

That said, if I was taking a more realistic approach, then yes, Superman would require No Signature.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage resistance, no signature, tough skin