Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Jamlpr

Default I have two very specific questions about the Ranger class.

So we have only been playing Munchkin for a few months now and these last few days we have come up with two very specific questions that both sound very stupid. We decided that we could not agree on anything and can only scream at each other. So, now I am here. I need everyone's help to solve this simple issues.

First: Once the 'Floating Nose' card has been obtained via the 'Ranger' ability 'Monster Tamer' can it be killed by the card 'Potion of Halitosis'? (Moderator edit: Please don't post card text on these forums.)

Second: So for this one I need to set up a scenario for you wonderful people. Scene: I'm a 'Ranger' at combat strength of 11 and I am fighting a level 10 monster. Player 2 throws a 'Mate' card down, so now I am fighting TWO level 10 monsters. I decide to use my 'Monster Tamer' ability to tame that level 10 monster in to being my steed. Now, this is where the problem comes in. What happens to the mate? When I tame the first monster, does the 'Mate' card return to player 2's hand or do I still have to face the mate after taming the original monster? So if the 'Mate' card stays do the original enhancers on the original monster stick with the 'Mate' card or do they also go away and also if the 'Mate' stays can you modify the 'Mate'? Jesus that is confusing. So example:
Level 8 Gazebo and +5 to Monster + Mate.
So now we have two level 13 Gazebo's.
I tame the Gazebo.
Mate stays.
Is he still level 13? If so can I also continue to modify him?
Is he back at level 8? If so can I also continue to modify him?
Is he gone completely? If so is the combat over?

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 10-16-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Jamlpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: I have two very specific questions about the Ranger class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamlpr View Post
So we have only been playing Munchkin for a few months now and these last few days we have come up with two very specific questions that both sound very stupid. We decided that we could not agree on anything and can only scream at each other. So, now I am here. I need everyone's help to solve this simple issues.

First: Once the 'Floating Nose' card has been obtained via the 'Ranger' ability 'Monster Tamer' can it be killed by the card 'Potion of Halitosis' (card reads: <snipped card text>)?
I would say no, but I could be wrong as I haven't seen an offical ruling on this one. My reasoning is that the Floating Nose is now a Steed and not a monster, so cards that affect it as a monster no longer work.

Quote:
Second: So for this one I need to set up a scenario for you wonderful people. Scene: I'm a 'Ranger' at combat strength of 11 and I am fighting a level 10 monster. Player 2 throws a 'Mate' card down, so now I am fighting TWO level 10 monsters. I decide to use my 'Monster Tamer' ability to tame that level 10 monster in to being my steed. Now, this is where the problem comes in. What happens to the mate? When I tame the first monster, does the 'Mate' card return to player 2's hand or do I still have to face the mate after taming the original monster? So if the 'Mate' card stays do the original enhancers on the original monster stick with the 'Mate' card or do they also go away and also if the 'Mate' stays can you modify the 'Mate'? Jesus that is confusing. So example:
Level 8 Gazebo and +5 to Monster + Mate.
So now we have two level 13 Gazebo's.
I tame the Gazebo.
Mate stays.
Is he still level 13? If so can I also continue to modify him?
Is he back at level 8? If so can I also continue to modify him?
Is he gone completely? If so is the combat over?
When you tame a monster you only tame the monster, not the enhancers on it. This is from the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. If potions, enhancers, etc., were played on a monster before I tamed it, what happens?
A. Taming a Steed is similar to the Wizard's Charm Spell, so one-shot Items (if it was the only monster in the fight), Monster Enhancers, and so on get discarded. (Rulings on the forums have been inconsistent, but this is the official answer.)
Now the other question is how to handle the cards. You are only taming one monster, and the enhancer definitely stays on the remaining one. Now, as Mate is an exact duplicate of the monster, including its enhancers, it is usually recommended to remove the Mate when removing a monster from combat.

The simplest procedure to handle the tamed Mated monster seems to be to take the Mate card to represent your Steed until you finish the combat. You only pay discards for the Treasure written on the monster card (do not count the extra Treasure from the enhancer). The enhancer is still attached and the remaining Gazebo is still at combat strength 13 (while its Level is and always was 8). When you finish the combat and you're cleaning up and discarding the cards, switch the monster for the Mate card for simplicity.

Again, I haven't seen an official ruling, but this seems the simplest way to handle it that matches existing rulings on similar cards.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Clipper's responses are correct, and though we don't want to force people into doing things a specific way on issues that might come down to personal preference, that's how I would handle a situation when taming a Monster that has a Mate. Either way, a Monster would remain with all the Monster Enhancers one-shot Items, but it's just easier to remove the Mate first, so calculating the Monster side combat strength doesn't require looking at someone's cards.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 AM   #4
Moldon

wtah if I want to tame Mommy? Its separate monster with 1 extra Treasure. For example let it be Gazebo's Mommy. How much cards I have to discard?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldon View Post
wtah if I want to tame Mommy? Its separate monster with 1 extra Treasure. For example let it be Gazebo's Mommy. How much cards I have to discard?
Mommy is not a Monster card as defined by the rules and cannot be tamed by a Ranger. This is an official ruling.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote