Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Trojan Points

Default EuroSpace E950 Minerva Executive Transatmospheric Vehicle

A GURPS Spaceships stated 'orbital business jet' for your THS campaign

The Minerva, a GURPS Spaceships stated 'orbital business jet' for your THS campaign!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 07-25-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: essentially duplicate
Trojan Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Tzeentch

Default Re: EuroSpace E950 Minerva Executive Transatmospheric Vehicle

The HEDM rocket cannot go in the core. Also note that HEDM rockets are still quite dangerous in Transhuman Space and would probably not be rated for commercial use. (You can swap a fuel tank with the rocket to fix).

Computer Complexity should be C6 with the TS mod.

After tank multiplier it gets 0.7 mps per tank, for a total of 7 mps for the HEDM rocket.

Load should be 0.7 (1 crew, 6 passengers).

I get $820K for price
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
I also wouldn't use a seperate rocket and jet engines for this, they're parasitic weight when the other one is in use. I'd go for the hybrid engines which are just starting research now, that can air breath in the atmosphere and switch to stored oxygen at higher altitudes.
I think it would be pretty hard to make an air breathing HEDM rocket, let alone a hybrid one.

But yeah HEDM rockets are not exactly civilian tech in January 2100. Makes building SSTO craft hard...

Outside of a laser powered rocket the only thing that really comes close is a nuclear thermal rocket (.5 G/.45 mps) which may or may not be useable in earth's atmosphere.

Side question: would a fusion powered NTR perform any differently then a fission one?
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
I think it would be pretty hard to make an air breathing HEDM rocket, let alone a hybrid one.
It doesn't even make sense, HEDM fuel isn't binary. You can only make a dual air/rocket design if you're making a thermal rocket (nope) or one that works by mixing oxygen with fuel (nope).
Old 08-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

But yeah HEDM rockets are not exactly civilian tech in January 2100. Makes building SSTO craft hard...

Outside of a laser powered rocket the only thing that really comes close is a nuclear thermal rocket (.5 G/.45 mps) which may or may not be useable in earth's atmosphere.

Side question: would a fusion powered NTR perform any differently then a fission one?
A Light Bulb provides at least 0.8 mps per fuel tank, and exhales pure hydrogen. I think this is as SSTO-friendly as one ever needs. The only thing that is meh is that you need something like 6 hours to reach orbit.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
A Light Bulb provides at least 0.8 mps per fuel tank, and exhales pure hydrogen. I think this is as SSTO-friendly as one ever needs. The only thing that is meh is that you need something like 6 hours to reach orbit.
Well, considering that typical LEO is, what? 90 minutes? I think you are going to need something with a bit more oomph...
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Well, considering that typical LEO is, what? 90 minutes? I think you are going to need something with a bit more oomph...
Why would that matter? You're trading cheap SSTO (something like 8 tanks of hydrogen) for having to spend several hours flying. That's something like $8000 per launch for a small TAV (say 1-6 people) to GEO, which is cheaper than the $24,000 per person you pay when buying orbital tickets from your friendly neighbourhood laser-launch facility to LEO.

In fact, if such a TAV can get 6 people to orbit, it is competitive with the Olympus Project due to being doable from any airport.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 08-14-2013 at 02:34 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceships, spaceships 7, ths, ths spaceship, transhuman space