Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #21
Plane

Default Re: making it so large powerstones don't stop small ones from recharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That Extra FP simply stops existing when there is no mana but comes back into existence when there is.
but doesn't get drained, is my point, so it still exists in some kind of limbo?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #22
ronwit

Default Re: making it so large powerstones don't stop small ones from recharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I do have to say that I've never seen the question come up in actual play. Even if a group had multiple stones they could ahve each party member carry one (and you don't fret about each party member being always exactly 6 ft or more away from the others).
Just have them practice social distancing.
ronwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #23
Kesendeja

In my game at least we add on an extra cost for the stone's recharge rate. It ignores the rule of only one stone recharging at a time, but all the stones are more expensive, both in CP and money.

It's worked for us, and I'll post a link for review.

Power stones redone
Old 07-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
but doesn't get drained, is my point, so it still exists in some kind of limbo?
Nope, the Extra FP doesn't represent gathered up environmental Mana. The way you've bought it it's a physical resource of your body.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #25
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Once upon a time I worked my way through the GURPS 3E Magic Items books and converted all the "Unique Enchantment" items into spells.

Powerstone Recharging Rack (VH) Enchantment

(..)Powerstones held within the rack do not influence the rate at which other stones in the rack recharge, nor do they affect the rate at which stones outside the rack recharge (although the reverse is not true – a Powerstone outside the rack will prevent all the stones inside the rack from recharging).
I read the "Stones in the rack have no effect whatsoever on one another, or on stones outside the rack." part of the item to mean a powerstone outside of the rack having no effect on those in it as the item's actual description doesn't say otherwise.

The one thing I don't like is the whole "This item will not operate where the mana level is lower than normal." thing that is part of the actual item description.

Given it would have to be Power 20+ in both Enchant and Powerstone Recharging Rack to work in low mana, which logically would be rare, it is a limitation that doesn't need to be there.

The RAW rules (except regarding Objects of Power) already deals with this so why throw in this odd exception? The stones are going to slow to recharge (1 point/week) anyhow so it is not like snuff box versions of this are going to be abused.

It comes off as a solution to a non existent problem.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 07-04-2020 at 01:43 PM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #26
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
That seems insanely difficult and expensive for something that can be done with a couple of bookshelves in a basement. Heck, you can actually use the bookshelves for books and just store the powerstones in a 6" cubby every 6'.
Yes.

I was working within the definition of the original Powerstone Recharging Rack item. It's kind of a sucky spell, although it has the benefit of creating a relatively small and portable item.

Powerstones are one of those gadgets which should be made much more generic than they currently are in order to suit the flavor of a particular campaign. Materials required, enchantment cost, enchantment time, Quirks, distances at which Powerstones recharge, and time required for recharge might vary.

In a High Tech campaign, an enchantment based on Powerstone + Conduct/Draw Power could be used to produce gadgets that recharge Powerstones using electricity, in the same way that battery packs for cordless power tools are recharged.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #27
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Yes.

I was working within the definition of the original Powerstone Recharging Rack item. It's kind of a sucky spell, although it has the benefit of creating a relatively small and portable item.

Powerstones are one of those gadgets which should be made much more generic than they currently are in order to suit the flavor of a particular campaign. Materials required, enchantment cost, enchantment time, Quirks, distances at which Powerstones recharge, and time required for recharge might vary.

In a High Tech campaign, an enchantment based on Powerstone + Conduct/Draw Power could be used to produce gadgets that recharge Powerstones using electricity, in the same way that battery packs for cordless power tools are recharged.
In some settings Powerstones may be natural ie certain gemstone quality rocks and some ores have effectively become Powerstones. There are some wild quirk (Perks) in the Magic Items books.

One in particular is Mana Pool where the Powerstone acts like an Object of Power for mana ie raises the local mana level.

Its counterpart is Mana Vortex and such Powerstones are a royal pain.

On a site note Powerstone is one of the few spells where the "Rule of 15", where enchanted items stop working when below Power 15 (adjusted for mana) doesn't apply.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #28
AlexanderHowl

Not in 4e. Powerstones do not function below Power 15 in 4e.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #29
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I know the intent was for an in-game solution, but many of the ideas floating around are rules changes/house rules (such as the bigger stones don't interfere when they're full, which I also use).

If you're solving it by changing the game mechanics around it, just shorten the distance limitation.
They don't charge if they're within a foot of larger stones, for example.

Also, back in 3E Magic Items days, my group was very fascinated with creative solutions to powerstone recharging and quirks. We had too much fun making stuff up with only bits of it ending up in our game.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #30
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

In relation to Enchantments in No Mana zones, the way we played it (my books are not in hand so I don't know how close to RAW this is) was the Enchantment was suspended and permanent spells were broken while in No Mana. So an animated skeleton walks into a no mana zone, it's dead. I stroll in because you cast Foolishness on me, I'm suddenly less the fool.

A powerstone or Sword with +1 Puissance, temporarily loses it's magical enhancements.
The powerstones enhancment is that it can hold mana. If it can't, it's empty when it re-enters a mana zone.