Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default CMON is making Munchkin board games!

Here's the press release.

We can't talk about many more details than are in the release, at least not yet, but we'd love to hear your thoughts and we'll talk about what we CAN reveal.

When things get closer, we'll move this thread to the "Other Munchkin Games" subforum, but for now, we'll leave it here in the main forum.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 11-29-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: CMON is making Munchkin board games!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, though I'd be more excited if this was a company that wasn't so miniatures happy (huge quantities of miniatures seem to just jack up the price of a game without actually improving gameplay IMHO). Still, we really enjoy Munchkin, and have enjoyed pretty much every previous Munchkin-themed partnership (Smash Up, Castle Panic, Love Letter, Gloom), so I look forward to seeing what this will produce.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
serleran

Munchkin Quest is being reprinted, under a different name, and by a different company. That might be interesting.

Kaosball with a Munchkin theme has... opportunity.

Are they authorized to make their own promos or will those still be proffered by SJG? Perhaps both?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

With the info we have at the moment, I'm very excited.

I have one CMON game with tons of minis and they're fantastic pieces.

Other than the aforementioned cost impact of going heavy on miniatures, I don't see any downside.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serleran View Post
Munchkin Quest is being reprinted, under a different name, and by a different company. That might be interesting.
I think you have misunderstood this announcement. We have not licensed MQ to any other publishers. CMON is creating new games.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
PK

If anything, it sounds like this is sort of a spiritual successor to Munchkin Quest, in that it occupies the "Munchkin board game with player and monster miniatures moving around a tiled dungeon" niche.

For those who haven't played Arcadia Quest, it's an excellent game in which each player controls a "guild" of three characters, all of whom "level up" by obtaining new equipment at the end of each scenario. They pay for this new gear with gold, which is obtained primarily from killing monsters and completing objectives (which includes killing members of other players' guilds!). It's competitive, but there's a lot of room for temporary alliances and truces when it serves everyone's purposes. And because it's CMON, the production quality is excellent, including a custom mini for each hero and lots of minis to represent a wide variety of monsters.

Even if the new CMON Munchkin game is a straight reskin of Arcadia Quest, I'll be happy. But hopefully it incorporates a few unique changes (like they did with Arcadia Quest Inferno) to achieve even more of a Munchkin feel.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
serleran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
If anything, it sounds like this is sort of a spiritual successor to Munchkin Quest, in that it occupies the "Munchkin board game with player and monster miniatures moving around a tiled dungeon" niche.
Indeed.

Said better than my original post.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Argendauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
For those who haven't played Arcadia Quest, it's an excellent game in which each player controls a "guild" of three characters, all of whom "level up" by obtaining new equipment at the end of each scenario. They pay for this new gear with gold, which is obtained primarily from killing monsters and completing objectives (which includes killing members of other players' guilds!). It's competitive, but there's a lot of room for temporary alliances and truces when it serves everyone's purposes. And because it's CMON, the production quality is excellent, including a custom mini for each hero and lots of minis to represent a wide variety of monsters.
I played Forge War and started brainstorming ways to repurpose Munchkin cards and minis and to make a munchkin-guild-themed game with phases for town, explore, fight&loot. This sounds like it already scratches that itch.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Anh-Dalan

I'd LOVE a munchkinized Zomicide version. A supposedly good deal - Congrats!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Valkyrie

Well this should be interesting. I hope to see some high-quality munchkin figurines, like of Spyke, Flower, and hopefully the plutonium dragon. I must say that I would rather have more card expansions than new games. I’m still looking forward to anything, though!
Closed Thread