Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Selling organs, and regeneration

Hello all!

So imagine a character in an urban fantasy setting with access to a spell that can regenerate lost organs deciding to sell their own organs on the black market as a way to make cash, as legitimate hospitals will get suspicious after seeing the same person selling their own organs more than once.

I'd be tempted to treat it as a job and be done with it, but what kind of job roll would it be? Freelance job with the regeneration spell as the job roll with critical failure indicating complications? What kind of pay would one earn for that?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Selling organs, and regeneration

Since selling organs is illegal basically everywhere except Iran (where it is tightly managed by the government acting as the broker), and the market for illegal organs with a specific immunological profile can't be large, I wouldn't expect a monthly paycheck at all.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Anthony

To be honest, you'll make more money at lower risk casting the spell on other people. And the rate is heavily setting dependent.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

If the character is the only one with access to such powerful healing spells, they'd have to pay for a pretty Large unusual Background.
Finding a way to turn that into a little bit of cash via criminal activities, doesn't seem that game breaking.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

If you can repair or even replace failed/missing organs, forget about being cut apart by random people. Just go be a miracle healer! Since your healing actually works, you won't even have to worry about being sued and having to come up with a new identity!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
If you can repair or even replace failed/missing organs, forget about being cut apart by random people. Just go be a miracle healer! Since your healing actually works, you won't even have to worry about being sued and having to come up with a new identity!
If you don't care at all about keeping a somewhat low profile, sure. Miracle Healer is all well and good, but be prepared for having your face plastered at every 10 O'Clock new outlet and tabloids. It's less likely to be noticed.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Miraculous healing ability... what could possibly go wrong? No one would ever want to hurt someone with such godly powers. ;)

Being one of ten thousand supers globally? Great. One of one? I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
<snip> and the market for illegal organs with a specific immunological profile can't be large, I wouldn't expect a monthly paycheck at all.
Depending on the exact nature of the urban fantasy setting, there might be quite a market for selling your organs to zombies, wendigos etc. who need to eat them to survive, but also want to keep a low profile. Unfortunately, you probably can't cast the spell without your brain...

Last edited by Blind Mapmaker; 07-28-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: clarified reasoning
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
Tomsdad

Hang on I may be missing something here as I don't use Magic very much, but are we talking about:

Step 1: get organ removed
Step 2: Cast regeneration on self regrowing the removed organ
Step 3: Repeat

erm what's the FP cost and casting needs and times for the regeneration spell, what are the penalties for casting a spell while missing an internal organ?

How good is the surgeon who's removed the organ, how many FP will you be down having undergone organ removal surgery!?

There seems to be a high risk with several rather serious failure points! (it's going to depend on what organs were talking about I guess) Is there some kind of clever contingency spell set up here.

On the keeping a low profile point, I think you'll lose that when you keep coming back to the organ harvesters for repeat operations "er yeah I was born with 3 kidneys, you must have missed it last time, can I have a red lollipop this time".

I#ll be honest I'm reminded of the story line in KODT of Vecna's hand (or even Vecna's head)!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-28-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
Anaraxes

The OP doesn't specify the setting assumption for frequency of powers. But if regeneration magic is at all accessible, there won't be a black market for organ transplants, because it's easier for the recipients just to have theirs regenerated if something goes wrong. (Transplant surgeons and hospital facilities aren't really common or cheap, either.) You'd only need transplants for problems that magic couldn't heal. Low demand, high supply, means low prices, if there's a market at all.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote