Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Grenade Launcher Launcher (no, not a typo)

I just remembered an old FPS that had the absurd Grenade Launcher Launcher. It's a massive, two handed 'gun' that shoots out a grenade launcher, itself with six grenades, that would shoot out in regular intervals, the force of them being enough to keep the grenade launcher in the sky and flinging around almost at random.

Now for actually building this thing as an item, it's something I'd let an enterprising Gadgeteer make and try to not kill themselves with. And I could just write up some statistics for this.

But it made me wonder; How would I make this as an attack power? I was looking over Homing to maybe approximate something, but the big thing is the attack is basically 'fire then run like hell' and I'm not quite sure how to approximate that. Any thoughts?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Grenade Launcher Launcher (no, not a typo)

Seems like just an amusing description of an area effect attack to me. You could use Bombardment, possibly Overhead. If you want more chaos at the cost of more die-rolling, make it an RoF attack of Explosions, each one scattering independently from the target point.

"Run like hell" will emerge naturally if you make the range shorter than the radius of the area affected, so the shooter will get caught in his own explosion. (Consider also Delay...)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Seems like just an amusing description of an area effect attack to me. You could use Bombardment, possibly Overhead. If you want more chaos at the cost of more die-rolling, make it an RoF attack of Explosions, each one scattering independently from the target point.

"Run like hell" will emerge naturally if you make the range shorter than the radius of the area affected, so the shooter will get caught in his own explosion. (Consider also Delay...)
Delay is definitely a good point, I remember finding it hard to escape the potential area of bomb strikes. RoF and having all six come out right away doesn't quite fit, it is a but of a sustained panic. But Overhead and Persistent could solve that. I know Drift can let the area move each turn, would it make sense as a feature that it can move around quite a bit but never far from a specific point (so as to emulate a new bomb placement each turn)? Can Explosion and Persistent be taken together?
Old 04-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I just remembered an old FPS that had the absurd Grenade Launcher Launcher. It's a massive, two handed 'gun' that shoots out a grenade launcher, itself with six grenades, that would shoot out in regular intervals, the force of them being enough to keep the grenade launcher in the sky and flinging around almost at random.

Now for actually building this thing as an item, it's something I'd let an enterprising Gadgeteer make and try to not kill themselves with. And I could just write up some statistics for this.

"Explain to me again, Sergeant, why you shot our own platoon technician?"

SERGEANT (holds up grenade launcher launcher): "This is why. He was about to fire it, and I had to consider the well being of my men."
Old 04-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
Dalillama

Kick it up a notch with a multishot Davy Crockett launcher launcher.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #6
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
"Explain to me again, Sergeant, why you shot our own platoon technician?"

SERGEANT (holds up grenade launcher launcher): "This is why. He was about to fire it, and I had to consider the well being of my men."
I misread that at first and initially thought he sniped someone with the GLL and now I can't get that image out of my head.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
Say, it isn't that bad!

So my suggestion is, gather up all of the damage dice, and roll them onto the battlemat.

Any character hit by one or more dice, is hit by that much explosion. :D
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote