Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-25-2018, 02:34 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Kickstarter funded!

Well, it's over. According to my Kickstarter App the total was $314,572 with 3,379 backers with all stretch goals achieved. Well done to the SJGames team who put on a really well run and exciting KS campaign that kept us all on our toes till the last few hours and thanks to all the enthusiasts who spread the word and the backers who stumped up the cash. TFT is reborn!

It was a wild ride for sure. I was hoping for 2,500 backers and $250k but we did that easily in the end and those drooling for the pocket box got their wish.

The highlight for me was the GM screen as I always wanted one but could never find one back in the day. Now I'll have two!

What were your highlights?

Last edited by Chris Rice; 08-25-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:20 AM   #2
pyratejohn

Default Re: Kickstarter funded!

First highlight was seeing that it had opened, and that 7 people had pledged.
Next was logging in thinking I would be backer 8, but I was 28!
Then everything in between this and watching it run up to $314,572.
I don't really do Kickstarters often (I've backed like two other games and 3 or 4 TravellerCons), so now I understand how people love the feeling of backing a game. The feeling of camaraderie, sense of accomplishment, all that. It was a blast.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
DarkPumpkin

The what did what?? Why didn't someone tell me about it when it was on?

Just kidding.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Thanks, everyone! We hope that you enjoyed the Kickstarter campaign as it was in the funding period . . . and that you enjoy the game even more!

Last edited by philreed; 08-27-2018 at 03:13 PM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #5
Shadekeep

The best parts of the campaign for me so far where:
  • The fact that it existed at all
  • Getting to relive and rediscover the joy of TFT, especially with my brother
  • Meeting great people in this community right here
  • The forthcoming license arrangement
  • Some behind-the-scenes stuff I shan't go into right now

I've not been this excited for a Kickstarter in a long while, and I love that my favourite RPG is returning. I do wish it, and everyone at SJG, the best of luck!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Pappahotep

I just wanted to thank you all for bringing TFT back. I can't tell you how delighted I am to support this Kickstarter.

TFT occupies a very special place in my heart. I first bought Melee and Wizard as a gift to myself on my 15th birthday, and soon added the advanced books and In the Labyrinth.

This was the game that taught me how to be a good game master. Like most of us, I entered the rpg hobby with D&D, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the rules and tables, and I often suffered mental paralysis at the game table; I was afraid to make an incorrect ruling, and play bogged down as I was constantly looking up rules and consulting charts.

TFT changed all that for me. The rules faded into the background, and I was able to just play. I gained the courage to make things up on the fly, and learned to focus my attention on reacting to the players, and on the story instead of on the big, scary rule-book. I was finally able to I get over my stage-fright and begin to actually enjoy being a game master, and I was able to apply the lessons that TFT taught me to every other game I've played over the last several decades.

Sadly, after I left home, my mom threw out most of my gaming stuff, including my beloved TFT. Needless to say, I'm excited to finally get it all back and play this wonderful game again for the first time in nearly 40 years. I guess sometimes you can go home again.

Heartfelt thanks to everyone at Steve Jackson Games for launching this revival, and to all the Kickstarter backers who made it a reality.
Pappahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Buzzardo

I was hoping for 3,000 backers and predicted early on (just for fun) that we'd make it to $321,000. So I was close. :)

I'm happy to see more backers. That means a bigger market going forward. I also hope SJG can stir up a broader market for the game. Given the rise of umpteen flavors of OSR gaming, it certainly seems like there's opportunity. Of course, my motive are selfish. I want to see a vibrant product line, and that requires a thriving community that's willing to buy.

Thank you to SJG for a fun Kickstarter campaign. I look forward to the next one (or two?) campaigns, both for the goodies and for the fun of a good KS campaign.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
fisherro

It felt good to be backer #13. (Not my smallest backer number. I was backer #1 for another project, but that one was much smaller. But it is second smallest.)

I was happy to see the PDF plan. I’d’ve been happy with backing at almost any level because of that. (Though I ended up with IWIA.)

I was excited evertime another “sheet” of megahexes were unlocked.

I was happy to see the Companion added.

I was excited at the 14-hex dragon, and then to find out the megahex add-on would have another one.

I don’t think I ever had any SJG pocketbox games, but I was happy that it would have “classic size” maps & counters. I wasn’t optimistic it would happen, though.

The nail-biting finish was awesome. Mostly I’m a back-and-forget (until the surprises arrive) sort of backer, but I enjoyed watching the whole ride this time.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
43Supporter

Pocket Boxes are coming back.

[Snoopy Dance]

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
XRaysVision

Well, I'm super excited.

Although I missed this back in the day (I was busy playing Task Force pocket games, Avalon Hill, and Strategy & Tactics games). I heard a lot about it from my best gaming buddy, Ed Y.

I then found Dark City games, of which I now have most that are published, and got into the whole Melee/Wizard type gaming. Along the way I discovered other retro games like Tunnels & Trolls and Mercenaries, Spies, & Private Eyes.

Of course I dabbled in D&D, GURPS, and others, but the simpler games that have a character sheet on a 3x5 card were where it's at for me.

For me, simple characters and simple mechanics result in lots of imagination and creativity. Therefore, when the announcement was made about the reissue of Melee, Wizard, and In the Labyrinth, I was extremely excited and jumped in with "I Want it All". I'm pleased to say that my pledge was number 230. I've watched this campaign grow from those first couple of hours to what it is today--an unbelievable mother lode of fantastic gaming materials.

My thanks to Steve Jackson Games, everyone who pledged, and to Ed Youngstrom whose enthusiasm for this system is truly infectious.
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote