Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #31
tbone

Default Re: Suggested Stretch Goals from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Articulated 7-hex dragon counters - a 4-hex front and a 4 hex rear, that articulate in the manner of Car Wars semis.
And when you force the dragon to retreat, it just might jackknife! : )

On those counters, I'm glad that people like the idea of keeping GURPS and DFRPG players in mind when creating TFT flat counters. I don't know whether that's a good idea from SJG's perspective too, but I hope so.

On a technical note, there's the question of how to depict flat figures. A top-down view for big animals and monsters, like the dragon that was shown by SJG earlier, is a perfect match for how GURPS/DFRPG presents counters in examples of map usage.

Actually, those games present top-down views for humans, too. That's nicely consistent – but a top-down view is kind of lousy for depicting PCs. You see the top of the head, a couple of arms, and that's about it!

TFT's way of depicting humanoids has the obvious advantage of actually showing the character, face and all. At the same time, it's odd in that the character is "lying down" on the map, and it makes human figures unusually short (so they'll fit into one hex), but so it goes.

I suppose TFT animals/monsters could then be drawn using front or side views, not top-down views, to match the way humanoids are depicted. But a human PC "lying down" on the map for visual clarity is one thing; a 14-hex dragon "lying" on its side would just look weird.

In the end, I suppose TFT's old method is best: frontal views of humanoids (even if that means they "lie down" on the map), top-down views for larger animals/monsters (and even small ones where it makes sense). I don't imagine any GURPS/DFRPG players would have a problem using those.

While I'm here, I'll make one more comment on counters: a hope that the game will be generous in what it provides, with plenty of counters for objects as well as creatures, and – budget willing – double-sided printing to essentially double the available counters.

On my site, I recently made a number of comments on the figures/counters included with DFRPG. Mostly praise! But for anyone pondering TFT counter selection, I'll paste a thought I had on the number of counters included in the DFRPG box:
...it puzzles me that the counters’ boards don’t use all of their available space. Each of the two boards has empty space that could hold one more largish piece and six more small squares. If those were used, we’d have 2 more large critters – say, a bear (for the druids!) and a void brute – and 12 more square counters. If those squares were double-use flat pieces, like the pits and slimes noted above, we’d have 24 more square counters – say, 2 more slimes, 4 fire counters, 6 types of dropped weapon, a cluster of fungus, a puddle, a pile of bones, a pile of rubble, a snake, a chest, a barrel, a tome, a pile of coins, a pile of generic "treasure", a shield, and a pile of clothes or rags. (Add to that three more spiders or other crawlies, if the above-mentioned small spider counters used alternate reverse-side illustrations. That’s a lost opportunity of 29 more counters in total!)
FWIW, I'd love to see TFT include plenty of object counters like the above. Even if GURPS/DFRPG players stick with their Cardboard Heroes figures for PCs and foes, I could imagine them buying TFT counters just for the added objects!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #32
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I don't know whether that's a good idea from SJG's perspective too, but I hope so.
We have no plans to blur GURPS and The Fantasy Trip. Those are two different games, with different strengths, and melding the two in any way at all is not in the cards.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #33
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We have no plans to blur GURPS and The Fantasy Trip. Those are two different games, with different strengths, and melding the two in any way at all is not in the cards.
I'm not looking for any melding, so that sounds fine. If TFT counters were to become their own separate product, I'd expect they'd mention nothing but TFT – no GURPS, no DFRPG – on the packaging and in the marketing.

But if the counters just happened to work well with 1"-hex maps – hey, nice bonus for GURPS players who could then nab the counters for their own purposes.

That's all!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #34
JLV

Frankly, I don't think anyone would WANT any "blurring" between TFT and GURPS. The two games are different enough that they each can stand on their own, and each has completely different goals that they strive to meet in terms of their gameplay.

Having said that, if I were a GURPS player and TFT counters could be just as easily used in my GURPS game, I'd be very excited by that. And vice versa, of course!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #35
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Steve has posted some info on stretch goals:

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/J..._The_Evil_Plan
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:55 AM   #36
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Steve has posted some info on stretch goals:

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/J..._The_Evil_Plan
I'm drooling already.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 AM   #37
Rick_Smith

Hi all,
Not at all sure that this is a possible stretch goal, but something to consider...

Currently the ItL book is 160 pages and I get the impression that it is filled up. New stretch goal, make the book 176 pages.

The extra pages can be extra art. But if Steve or Guy want to add a new rule or a bigger example, they have the page count to make it easy to add.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #38
Patrick

Additional Counter Sheets definitely, either for ITL or for certain solo products many of us have but aren't probably going to be reprinted. The articulated dragon idea would be cool too.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #39
JLV

We've already gotten extra countersheets for Melee and Wizard. But I'd love to see some big creature countersheets, and maybe some terrain/obstacle sheets!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:59 PM   #40
DarkPumpkin

I have no idea what new stretch goals could be at this point. More web/companion material, sure. A new counter sheet or two. But with 20 days of the KS to go - will there be anything substantial? I don't need anything more, but who knows!
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote