Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #34
Astromancer

Default Re: Occult/New Age centers of Transhuman Space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
That's a bit uncharitable, I think. Despite the (in many cases, richly-deserved) criticisms directed in their general directions, religions have traditionally done a better job than just about any other human creation of building a sense of community that provides members with emotional support during difficult times.

Also, the most successful ones provide simple, handy, easily-grasped moral codes that work 95 percent of the time, for 95 percent of its adherents. That's why people cling to them so strongly, even when new knowledge challenges traditional views.

I've known a fair number of "new-agey" pagan-types, and very few of them sought "thrills," and even fewer were what anyone would call "wealthy."

Most wanted the comfort, emotional support and sense of participation in "something greater" that religious belief provides, yet found themselves horribly alienated by the patriarchal (or even misogynistic) and/or exclusiveness found in the "communities" created by mainstream beliefs.

Now then, I frankly found most pagan/new age "theological thought" rather trite, but certainly kinder and more compassionate than most of the Old Testament.
I get were Wicans and other religious people are coming from. However, the crowd buying incense, new age cds, unicorn figurines, and exotic message oils, has been around for awhile. They flocked to Louis XV's Paris, to Weimar period Berlin, to late Victorian London, and since 1930, to L.A. because of Hollywood. My question is were does that crowd go in THS.

Have they copied Findhorn and found Moon Faeries? Do they speak to the lost Gods of Mars in Cydonia? What do mystics seek in the Ort Cloud? That's what I was after.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 04-30-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote