Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
spacemonkey

Default Ending Binding/Obscure early

How do you make a transient attack (Powers p. 153) have a controllable duration?

I've been trying to build a character with a ranged obscure attack, which he can use to bind, suffocate, or constrict. My plan was to have him able to cancel the obscure and binding abilities (especially the binding to be able to avoid killing), but that's not built into the advantages or any of the standard enhancements. I found a backhanded method in Powers, putting environmental (obscure) on the binding and selectivity and extended duration on Obscure, but that wouldn't keep the constriction attack from sometimes being too lethal.

Would 'Terminal Condition: user chooses to end effect' be worth 0%? It would seem to be an enhancement rather than a limitation.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
munin

Default Re: Ending Binding/Obscure early

Psionic Powers introduced Cancellation, +10% for Affliction. I think it's fine to use it on other abilities whose effects you couldn't normally end as well. It requires either a touch or an activation ("attack") roll with range penalties.

It's worth a little more than +0% because it does give you more options, but it's not worth that much.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
spacemonkey

Default Re: Ending Binding/Obscure early

Thanks, that will work.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation