Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2015, 03:44 AM   #1
scc

Default [Basic/Powers] Modular Abilities Has No Per Slot Pools

OK, I'm kicking around a template where the character gets his Power from an outside source, but the way I'm picturing it the characters Modular Abilities would have multiple slots, but each slot wouldn't have a limit on the number of points an ability placed in it can have, rather there is a limit on how many points can be spent on ALL abilities gained through Modular Abilities. How much should this cost per slot and per point of abilities?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
munin

Default Re: [Basic/Powers] Modular Abilities Has No Per Slot Pools

That sounds like a regular Cosmic Power MA (p. B71), but with a "Limited, Maximum X Slots" which might be -5% or -10% depending on the ratio of slots to points.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
That sounds like a regular Cosmic Power MA (p. B71), but with a "Limited, Maximum X Slots" which might be -5% or -10% depending on the ratio of slots to points.
Yes. The 10-per-point Cosmic version of Modular Ability implicitly has no limit on the number of slots, so adding such a limit would be either -5% or -10%.

Possibly in extreme cases -15% but I'm not sure about that. Likewise, possibly in some extreme cases, in the other direction, it's -0%.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Yes. The 10-per-point Cosmic version of Modular Ability implicitly has no limit on the number of slots, so adding such a limit would be either -5% or -10%.

Possibly in extreme cases -15% but I'm not sure about that. Likewise, possibly in some extreme cases, in the other direction, it's -0%.
The question, therefore, is 'How many slots for a specific percentage level?'

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
scc

OK details on what I'm trying to build here might explain why I'm not too hot on the idea of using the Cosmic version of MA. The old I'm designing doesn't really have any gods, at least not ones powerful enough to grant the sort of power normally wielded by DF's Clerics and Holy Warriors, thus instead for that role there are Shaman, who borrow the power of the spirits. The MA is representing the various Powers they can actually borrow.

The MA is going to have Physical +100%, along with a PM, possibly the one from Powers for Spirits along with Preparation Required at the one hour level. Now even using Multiplicative Multipliers that turns out to 4 points of MA per point of abilities.

Now Healing is going to have to fit into that pool from the beginning, with the Hp Only limitation and Mana Sensitive it's going to be 15 pts, and I don't see it dropping any more (I don't think the PM can apply) that means a starting character would have to spend 60pts on MA to heal his teammates
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

You can also use Requires Reaction Roll (a lesser form of Fickle from GURPS Powers) Such that you need to convince the Spirit/God to grant you the power. with the TDM to the role based on how well they like you, and how closes thw granted power fits their power and goals.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
… would have to spend 60pts on MA to heal his teammates
They're not spending 60 points to heal their teammates, they're spending 60 points to have any 15-point ability or 15 points distributed among multiple abilities. If your only objection is that modular abilities are expensive, well… that's because they're so flexible.

Also, when you're trying to munchkin the ability down to the least points, multiplicative modifiers actually hurts you here. Without that you could get this down to 2 points per point.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
If your only objection is that modular abilities are expensive, well… that's because they're so flexible.
Quoted for truth.

Modular Ability is very expensive, but that's because it's very flexible. A player shouldn't take it for his character unless he intends to make proper use of it - intends to exploit it.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
You can also use Requires Reaction Roll (a lesser form of Fickle from GURPS Powers) Such that you need to convince the Spirit/God to grant you the power. with the TDM to the role based on how well they like you, and how closes thw granted power fits their power and goals.
That Reaction Roll, or a non-Reaction Activation Roll, can be modified depending on how many slots the character wants to divide his Modular Ability into. The more slots he's asking for, the bigger the penalty.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
munin

If you really want to munchkin this ability, try this:

Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Doesn't work on someone already so afflicted, -10%; Accessibility, Self Only, -20%*; Cancellation, +10%; Melee Attack, No Parry, -35%; Magic, -10%; No Signature, Total, +25%; Staff, -50%) [2] + Lengthy-Catalog Slotted Cosmic Power† 1 (Limited, Improve Associated Affliction Only, -50%; Physical Only, +50%; Magic, -10%; Staff, -50%; Takes Extra Time 2, -20%) [1 + 1/level]. Notes: You have a magic staff which, while held, allows you to take 5 seconds (four Ready maneuvers and one Attack maneuver while in combat time) and a successful HT roll to grant yourself one or more GM-predefined abilities totalling no more than your level for minutes equal to your margin of success. You can cancel the abilities with a Ready maneuver (required before you use this ability again). If your staff is lost, broken, or stolen, you must acquire a new staff and spend one week§ attuning it to yourself before you can use this ability again. 3 points + 1 point per level.

Replace the Takes Extra Time with a limitation of your choice if you like. This ability gets around the slot mechanic by using the MA to improve a single ability (thus only one slot required) with multiple Advantage enhancements (which is RAW in letter, though not necessarily in spirit).

* Your ability works on only one person in the entire world, but they are always available.
† An MA worth 5 points per slot plus 5 points per point of abilities.
§ One week is the +0% powers option for restoring a lost power (p. P23).

Tags
basic, cancellation, modular abilities, powers