Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #11
transmetahuman

Default Re: User-terminable durations

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdog
I agree, it's more useful than complete permancy, especially if it continues, by default, in the event of your death.
Ah! Vindication by agreement! Thank you! :) Though, actually, I'm having second thoughts about its usefulness with +300% Permanency - it does give the victim a potential cure, and leads to attempts to coerce the user.

Persistent area effects, at least, must continue past your death, since they're used to represent gas & smoke clouds in the books. I think Permanent Afflictions at the +300% level should likewise fall into that category, since otherwise there is an obvious, "reasonable set of conditions that will dispel the effect" - namely, killing the user - and therefore it would fall into the +150% category. I'd say it depends on the special effects of the ability, but it should default to continuing past the user's death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdog
I'd model it as a new power altogether.
Buy the initial effect with permanent.
And then buy the power to reverse your power, based on either an Affliction(Remove advantage) or Healing (Accessability: My effects only)?
As I said in my first post, I don't want to do it this way. Mainly because done that way, there'd be times where the ability to end a cheap effect costs more than the effect itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Usually, when I get up to +300% with an enhancement, I just write off the additional utility and call it +300%. Not entirely satisfying, but, making it +310% seems like excessive bookkeeping. Maybe just say that the fact that you can revoke it is roughly equal to the hassle of other people being able to force you to revoke it. It probably isn't exactly equal, but, I'd just leave it at +300% and call it good.
While I might agree about it being a +0% enhancement when used with +300% Permanent (see my last post), it wouldn't be because of ruining the nice round 300% number. Nearly every ability I've ever written has a lot more than one modifier, so in the end the total of modifiers is no more likely to come out as an even number either way. That's probably why I prefer multiples of 10% to multiples of 5%, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Here's a point I haven't seen addressed - if the initial ability is part of a series of Alternate Abilities, do the effects on the target cease once you switch to another ability, or does a permanentized Affliction stay on them just as damage from an Innate Attack would remain?
Now *that's* an interesting (and troublesome) thought. My impulse is to say no to the former, yes to the latter (at least by default), for the reasons I gave in my response to laserdog. Gas clouds, and the way it makes every +300% Permanent into a +150% Permanent by the book, since it provides an obvious way to end it (coerce the user into switching his 'slots'). Also, if this isn't true, it'd make Hawkeye/Green Arrow super-archer types behave pretty weirdly. But again it probably depends on the special effects of the ability. Reading the rules for Alternate Abilities in Powers (p.11) sort of backs that up, if you define "impossible to use" as not covering existing effects... Maybe sketchy, but possibly reinforced by the third section, where it talks about abilities with Ranged or Power Theft as being special cases. Maybe we'll get a ruling from on high.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 03-07-2006 at 01:45 AM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation