Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Wavefunction

Default A Panoply of Portal Problems

Hi all,

Got a few questions relating to Warp (Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Cancellation, +10%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%; Ranged, +40%; Tunnel, +100%) (just to cover the basics of the build):

What kind of Power Defense would you use to stop an attack by opening a portal in front of it? Assuming it would be a Power Defense of course, normal Warp uses different rules for dodging attacks than a Power Dodge. How about using aforementioned defense multiple times per round? What about doing that at no penalty?

If you did block an attack with a tunnel, how would you represent arranging the portal 'mouth' so that the attack hits the person attacking you, or someone else for that matter?

What about the ability to close a portal whilst someone's arm (or head, weapon, lamppost, etc.) is stuck through it, severing it?

Finally, in Pyramid: Infinite Worlds 2, Lord of Your Own Domain the Tunnel enhancement is given another level to permit multiple simultaneous Tunnels. How would you open several tunnels at once? I guess there's limited Compartmentalized Mind, but are there any other options.

I have some idea on how to build the above abilities, but I'd like to hear other people's views.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: A Panoply of Portal Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Got a few questions relating to Warp (Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Cancellation, +10%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +300%; Ranged, +40%; Tunnel, +100%) (just to cover the basics of the build)
Where are you getting Cancellation from? Affliction? I assume that's so you can kill portals off quickly. That's clever. I approve.

Quote:
What kind of Power Defense would you use to stop an attack by opening a portal in front of it? Assuming it would be a Power Defense of course, normal Warp uses different rules for dodging attacks than a Power Dodge.
Power Block.

Quote:
How about using aforementioned defense multiple times per round? What about doing that at no penalty?
For the first I'd say "Cosmic, Multiple Warp Dodges" probably around +50% or maybe +100%. The second would be another +50% Cosmic - which matches up pretty well with Decreased Immunity 1.

Quote:
If you did block an attack with a tunnel, how would you represent arranging the portal 'mouth' so that the attack hits the person attacking you, or someone else for that matter?
Abilities at Default + Power Block for DR with Reflection on it.

Quote:
What about the ability to close a portal whilst someone's arm (or head, weapon, lamppost, etc.) is stuck through it, severing it?
Trickier. Abilities at Default with something like: Cutting Attack (Immediate Crippling, +10%; All or Nothing, -10%) [7/die]. So each level does 1d of cutting damage for the sole purpose of severing a limb. If damage equals or exceeds the crippling threshold check to see it if comes off.

Quote:
Finally, in Pyramid: Infinite Worlds 2, Lord of Your Own Domain the Tunnel enhancement is given another level to permit multiple simultaneous Tunnels. How would you open several tunnels at once? I guess there's limited Compartmentalized Mind, but are there any other options.
The penalty is -1 per portal after the first, you don't need Compartmentalized Mind, you just take more penalties.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Where are you getting Cancellation from? Affliction? I assume that's so you can kill portals off quickly. That's clever. I approve.
Yup, it seemed the obvious thing to do what I needed.

Quote:
Power Block.
Okay, that's what I thought, but it states it's for reinforcing a defensive power. I'll go with it though.

Quote:
For the first I'd say "Cosmic, Multiple Warp Dodges" probably around +50% or maybe +100%. The second would be another +50% Cosmic - which matches up pretty well with Decreased Immunity 1.
Sounds good, and I like the parallel with Decreased Immunity.

Quote:
Abilities at Default + Power Block for DR with Reflection on it.
Slightly less sure of this. That was my original thought, but would that cover opening a portal in front of someone else, and then directing the attack at something other than the person attacking them?

Quote:
Trickier. Abilities at Default with something like: Cutting Attack (Immediate Crippling, +10%; All or Nothing, -10%) [7/die]. So each level does 1d of cutting damage for the sole purpose of severing a limb. If damage equals or exceeds the crippling threshold check to see it if comes off.
Oh! All or Nothing, I'd forgotten about that. If I wanted to buy this as an advantage, so that every time I close a portal it cuts whatever's passing through, how should I go about it. I'm not entirely sure how it would interact with multiple portals, and the ability to close a portal as a free action. I'm now thinking maybe Cutting Attack (All or Nothing, -10%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Immediate Crippling, +10%; Link, Warp, +10%; PM, -10%; Triggered Delay, Portal Closing, +50%) [14/die], would that work with opening several at the same time?

Quote:
The penalty is -1 per portal after the first, you don't need Compartmentalized Mind, you just take more penalties.
And I assume Independent, +70% would remove penalties?
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Okay, that's what I thought, but it states it's for reinforcing a defensive power. I'll go with it though.
Yeah, but this feels like a defensive use. I suppose a case can be made for a Power Dodge too. Either way, the effect is essentially the same.

Quote:
Sounds good, and I like the parallel with Decreased Immunity.
Yeah, Decreased Immunity is awesome that way.

Quote:
Slightly less sure of this. That was my original thought, but would that cover opening a portal in front of someone else, and then directing the attack at something other than the person attacking them?
Yeah, it's going to happen all at once. So you are improvising DR (Reflection) then immediately using that for a Power Block to increase the DR (Reflection) which then has its normal effects. For 5 bloody FP it better do something awesome. Don't forget that you need to make a roll to improvise before your attempt to Power Block.

Quote:
Oh! All or Nothing, I'd forgotten about that. If I wanted to buy this as an advantage, so that every time I close a portal it cuts whatever's passing through, how should I go about it. I'm not entirely sure how it would interact with multiple portals, and the ability to close a portal as a free action. I'm now thinking maybe Cutting Attack (All or Nothing, -10%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Immediate Crippling, +10%; Link, Warp, +10%; PM, -10%; Triggered Delay, Portal Closing, +50%) [14/die], would that work with opening several at the same time?
I'd add RoF to the attack and specifically say that it increases the number of portals that you can lop off limbs with. Call it a feature and go with it. For free actions that's a bit tricky. I'd say you could repurpose Aura here - since Aura is the only way to get a free action attack in 4th edition - and say that Aura affects your portals not you for a +50% Cosmic. It's bending the rules slightly, but not breaking them. You'll also need to add another +100% Cosmic for RoF on a melee attack. Wither everything on it should be fairly balanced.

Quote:
And I assume Independent, +70% would remove penalties?
Yes.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation