Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #171
Parody

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

FWIW, we use a no-drop zone on and near the jump ramps in Hammer Downs and it seems to work OK. (IE, we still see dropped weapons without them clogging up everything.)

The real fun part of Hammer Downs, though, is the Surface to Air Missiles. :)
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #172
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Doesn't work -- if weapons are released as soon as the jump is completed, the first guy over a given jump will reduce the landing area to a no-go zone; not to mention there's nothing stopping him from making more than one jump (and he only has to inundate *one* ramp to render the jump useless).
Then guess what - you'd better be the first guy over the jump. We saw alot of action with vehicles trying to not only be the first over, but attempting to stop the others from being the first over.

I seem to recall that Hammer has four ramps over the central pit giving you four options as to how you can make your jump. You don't have to land in someone else's droppings. Additionally, it is going to be very hard for one person to make two jumps prior to anyone else making one.

I guess my experience is different than yours but I actually had fun seeing someone take a D16 hazard upon landing (although the fun level may have been lower if I was the one taking the hazard)!!!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #173
Hemlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
FWIW, we use a no-drop zone on and near the jump ramps in Hammer Downs and it seems to work OK. (IE, we still see dropped weapons without them clogging up everything.)

The real fun part of Hammer Downs, though, is the Surface to Air Missiles. :)
The other fun part of Hammer Downs was using Mine Flingers, Oil guns and/or Spike guns to litter DWs on the 'clear' ramp someone else chose as their landing strip. Or using FCGS's to lay a line of flame cloud across the central pit just before someone else tries to jump.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #174
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Then guess what - you'd better be the first guy over the jump. We saw alot of action with vehicles trying to not only be the first over, but attempting to stop the others from being the first over.
And over here, we call that a *racing* event.

Quote:
I seem to recall that Hammer has four ramps over the central pit giving you four options as to how you can make your jump. You don't have to land in someone else's droppings. Additionally, it is going to be very hard for one person to make two jumps prior to anyone else making one.
Actually it *is* possible for one driver to screw up all of the jumps on a single
level, but it takes some doing to accomplish.

Short form: Most people only think of jumping from a ramp to the ramp
immediately opposite. The instances I saw, the player would lay down a
pattern diagonally across one ramp, then jump to a ramp perpendicular to
the one he left, and lay down another diagonal pattern there. In one
particularly-insane case, the driver did that to the upper ramps, then instead
of taking a ramp to the lower level, jumped straight off the side of the upper
level ramp, came around and took out the lower level jumps. (Metal Tires
came in *Very* handy here....)

Once it was proved possible -- and survivable -- the banhammer had to
come down.

Quote:
I guess my experience is different than yours but I actually had fun seeing someone take a D16 hazard upon landing (although the fun level may have been lower if I was the one taking the hazard)!!!
And that's why we had to go to racing rules -- if the massive amount of DW
didn't blow out one or more tires, the subsequent handling loss would cause
the victim to crash. In essence, the event became a variant of the "six-
second duel of tires" which forced the banning of tire shots.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #175
Toltrin

It always amuses me how people believe a bumper pressure activated HEAT round will not create lethal blowback to the firing vehicle... lol
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #176
Hemlock

Another hyper-specialized 'racing' design ... and it's Division 10 legal !

The Bunny -- Subcompact with Carbon-Aluminum frame; Standard Chassis; Heavy Suspension; 4 Puncture Resistant tires; Large Power Plant with Super Conductors and Platinum Catalysts and Heavy Duty High Torque Motors; Driver only; Spoiler; Airdam; 3 Smoke Dischargers (L, R, B), linked; Mini Rocket platform with 2 Light Rockets, linked; 67 points armor. (F18, B18, L8, R8, T5, U10). $9737, 2300 lbs.

Acceleration : 15 mph/ sec (30 mph/ sec when HDHTMs are engaged)
Top Speed : 180 mph (120 mph when HDHTMs are engaged)
HC : 4 (5 when 60+ mph).

Even comes in a 'Vorpal Bunny' variant.

Vorpal Bunny -- remove 8 points of Armor, add Bumper Spikes (front) and Car Blades (Usual armor configuration, F:15 , L:8 , R:8 , B:15 , T:5 , U:8). Cost and weight are the same.

If you don't play with weight for pedestrian equipment, you can even afford body armor. (otherwise, you'll have to strip off 2 points of vehicle armor to make up the weight of the driver's body armor).

Last edited by Hemlock; 07-11-2009 at 05:57 AM.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #177
nerdflavour

I know you're gonna hate this one but here it is:

Victorinox- CA Van, Extra Heavy Six-Wheeled Chassis, 6 Fireproof PR Tires, 2x10 Fireproof WH front, 2x9 Fireproof WG back, HD Antilock Brakes, Overdrive, Driver, Hi-res Computer, Computer Gunner, Laser Guidance Link, Radar, Radar Detector linked to Radar Jammer, Surge Protector, Laser Battery, Blueprinted 150 cid Engine (with Tubular Headers, VP Turbo), 5 Gallon Duelling tank, Vulcan Machine Gun (20 High-Density) Front, Autocannon (10) Front, Ice Dropper (25) Back, Spikedropper (10) Back, Smokescreen (10 Tear Gas) Back, Light Flamethrower (10 High-Temperature) Back, Flaming Oil Jet (25 High Temperature) Left, Paint Spray (25 Glow in the Dark) Left, Flame Cloud Gas Streamer (2) Left, Vehicular Shot Gun (10) Left, Minedropper (10) Left, 3 Spc Rocket Platform (IR Targeting Laser, 3 Linked Armour Piercing Heavy Rockets) Top. All dropped weapons linked. Armor (Fireproof plastic): F36 R32 L32 B36 T6 U12. Accel 10, Top Speed 65, HC 2, Range 225 miles, 7198 lbs, $77100.

Last edited by nerdflavour; 07-13-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo
nerdflavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #178
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdflavour View Post
I know you're gonna hate this:

CA Van - Strike One
F36 R32 L32 B36 T6 U12 - Strike Two
$77100 - Strike Three.
You are correct sir.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #179
nerdflavour

Quote:
You are correct sir.
No strikes for the vehicular shotgun?

OK here's a gunned down Div 25 version:

Victorinox 25- Van, Extra- Heavy Six-Wheeled Chassis, Heavy Suspension, 6 PR Tires, 2x5 Standard WH Front 2x4 Standard WG back, Fire Extinguisher, Hi-Res Single Weapon Computer, Driver with 10 pt Standard CA, Super Power Plant with HTMs, Anti-Tank Gun with 10 pt Standard CA (10 APFSDS) Front, Ice Dropper (25) Back, Minedropper (10) Back, Smokescreen (10) Back, Flaming Oil Jet with 10 pt Standard CA (25) Left, Spikedropper with 10 pt Standard CA (10 Explosive Spikes) Right, All dropped weapons linked. Armor (Standard Plastic): F40, R30, L30, B32, T2, U8. Accel 5, Top Speed, HC 2, 7200 lbs., $23465.

Div 20 option: Drop HTMs, HRSWC and downgrade to imp. suspension. HC 1, $19865
and hope you're a really good shot/ driver.

Last edited by nerdflavour; 07-13-2009 at 11:40 AM.
nerdflavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #180
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdflavour View Post
No strikes for the vehicular shotgun?
You only need three strikes and you're out!!!!

Seriously, it is a nice design IF you consider ANY van acceptable (i.e. I'm not criticizing your design, I'm criticizing all van designs in general).