Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Drop and break weapon rolls for five dice?

What are the rolls for break and drop weapon on five dice, given talents that force five die rolls on attackers?

Here is my guess, by extension from the four die rolls.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Saving...rcentages.html
Old 04-13-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Drop and break weapon rolls for five dice?

You can roll three dice of a different color as part of the greater-than-3-die rolls, if you want to keep those chances the same despite the number of dice. That avoids the weirdly shifting percentages.

For these negative results on 4d6, Steve's listed numbers are pretty good because they get a bit worse than rolling 3 dice (except break weapon, which gets a less likely, but only by a small amount).

For 5d6, I would recommend:
* 25 & 26 is a dropped weapon (2.52%, up from 2.31% on 4d - including 24 would more than double it).
* 27-30 is a broken weapon (0.72%, up from 0.39% on 4d and 0.46% on 3d).

You didn't ask, but for 6d6, I would recommend:
* 29 & 30 is a dropped weapon (2.6% - including 28 would nearly double it)
* 31-36 is a broken weapon (0.99%)

As for the automatic positive results you didn't ask about:

If you want 4d and 5d rolls to represent more difficulty and less likely good results, you might want to trim the auto-success numbers so 4d rolls are at least worse than 3d rolls, and 5d rolls at least worse than 4d rolls, in terms of auto-success chances.

e.g.
4d auto-success on 7 or less, not 8.
5d auto-success on 9 or less, not 11.

Or for Defenses, not have ANY auto-hits on rolls with more than 3 dice. After all, none are listed in that rule on ITL 117.

It also increases the range of character attribute values that have effects on play, which seems to me like a desirable thing as well.

Oh, and for double & triple damage on 5d and 6d attack rolls, I recommend:

On 5d, a 5 or 6 is triple damage, a 7 is double damage.

On 6d, a 6-8 is triple damage, a 9 is double damage.

Using those numbers gives somewhat steadily decreasing chances the harder the roll is, without sending the chance completely into "you'll almost surely never see it happen" territory (rougly a one in 5-10,000 chance), which even one more shift would do.

Last edited by Skarg; 04-13-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote