Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #3981
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Neptune worldlines are those that are completely ordinary, yet have very little dry land. Most Neptune worlds, including Neptune-1, have ordinary, albeit divergent, geology.
I had an world I named Ocean-3 earlier, but I like Neptune as a naming convention better.

Quote:
Neptune-7 is topographically identical to Homeline, with sea levels raised 2000 feet, leaving a few chains above water. Sediment and erosion indicate that the sea level rose over a few centuries circa 5000 BCE, suggesting it may be "weird" somehow, but nothing is in evidence.

Neptune -7 will have a fair number of people, and even continents. 2000 feet is not all that high of an elevation. Most of Africa south of the Sudan and the DR Congo will remain above water. The mountainous stretch from Turkey through Iran, Afghanistan, Tibet and Mongolia remains dry. The Mountainous stretch of north america stays above sea level, including large chunks of historical Mexico.

Of course, you are loosing huge chunks of land, its just that large chunks remain.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #3982
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Neptune -7 will have a fair number of people, and even continents. 2000 feet is not all that high of an elevation. Most of Africa south of the Sudan and the DR Congo will remain above water. The mountainous stretch from Turkey through Iran, Afghanistan, Tibet and Mongolia remains dry. The Mountainous stretch of north america stays above sea level, including large chunks of historical Mexico.

Of course, you are loosing huge chunks of land, its just that large chunks remain.
Something like a quarter of it. I wonder if he didn't look at a 2000 meter map. That's much more island like - though some of those in Rockies or Andes are still state sized, and there's something that is definitely a small continent around the Tibetan Plateau even then.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #3983
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Something like a quarter of it. I wonder if he didn't look at a 2000 meter map. That's much more island like - though some of those in Rockies or Andes are still state sized, and there's something that is definitely a small continent around the Tibetan Plateau even then.

2000 meters is probably much closer to what was desired, and would give islands: the Tibetan plateau would be roughly the size of Greenland.

Having both exist would be fun.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #3984
Astromancer

I'm reading Luc Sante's The Other Paris. I find that there are surprisingly large gaps in the historical Record of Paris caused by Paris' often massive urban renewal projects. There would be multiple groups of historians and cartographers in just about any echo of Paris.

Given that in the default Infinite Worlds campaign Homeline's France seeks influence in every alternative France, This means that the Cabal, Centrum, Reich-5, Swagmen, and others, can be reasonably assured that if Homeline knows of a parallel there will be some signs of this in Paris.

More fun, the underworld of Paris is aggressive, clever, possessed of a wicked sense of humor, and aware of those places the police ignore. Thus the locals will be in on the act at the worst times.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #3985
PTTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Don't let me chart any Mars missions...
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #3986
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Don't let me chart any Mars missions...
Did you mean 20,000 ft? That would have been far more severe.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #3987
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Did you mean 20,000 ft? That would have been far more severe.
That would put the setting in "bad Kevin Costner movie" territory. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #3988
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
That would put the setting in "bad Kevin Costner movie" territory. :)
Not quite, the Andes would be an island chain, and Tibet would have a lot of land above water.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #3989
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I had an world I named Ocean-3 earlier, but I like Neptune as a naming convention better.

I would think someone at Infinity would just go ahead and designate these worlds 'Waterworld"...
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #3990
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
I would think someone at Infinity would just go ahead and designate these worlds 'Waterworld"...
Well, you see, they were going to do that, until they decided to lump Neptune-6 into the mix, where Neptune sank France and all other cultures that didn't revere horses or the sea under the ocean after the Gauls sacked his temple on Neptunalia. Then they decided that keeping the Neptune name would be wise
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited