Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #21
Captain Midnight

Default Re: Can In Nomine be resurrected?

While I've got a decent selection of GURPS 3rd ed. books, I checked out before 4th edition -- couldn't afford it at that time. I have just about everything ever produced for the original line, and was heavily involved for quite some time with the online community.

I'd be interested in new content for the original setting, and now that my kid are bigger, I have a little more time to focus on gaming in general. I'm fine with PDF-only content.

I'm *not* interested in spending a bunch to convert to (and familiarize myself with) 4th edition, and then deal with weird squeezes to convert things over. If that's the only way to make a revival work... then I'm fine with helping to provide some fan content here, and playing out of my old books.
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #22
dataweaver

Yeah; a GIN 4e would have to be written to be compatible with GURPS Lite, or as a stand-alone Powered By GURPS book. And even then, I'd only be interested in it as a potential stepping stone to an honest to goodness IN 2e.

Elaborating a bit on that, a G4e IN is only of interest to people who like G4e and IN, and see them as two great tastes that taste great together. It does nothing for those of us who like the setting but prefer something more along the lines of IN's mechanics than GURPS. If they were to, say, do a KS for G4eIN with a Stretch Goal of also finding IN2e, I'd back it in the hopes of reaching that stretch goal.

Last edited by dataweaver; 02-02-2019 at 04:31 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #23
Moe Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
On the celestial conversion, I'll note that Non-Reciprocal Damage is canonical GURPS (Powers, p. 75) and should be listed as a +50% Advantage on Alternate Form, and I'd offer additional suggestions should you want them, perhaps in another thread.
I think that I put this together pre-Powers, so I'm not surprised if it needs further work. Feel free to fold, spindle, and/or mutilate; I'm not running a GIN campaign at the moment anyway. :)

Moe Lane.com
Moe Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #24
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Elaborating a bit on that, a G4e IN is only of interest to people who like G4e and IN, and see them as two great tastes that taste great together.
I think that's a true statement, and I would say that new material would be published in the native setting. It's just that material has been published with GURPS 3e stats and would now need to be published with 4e stats unless it was held to the old system, which I would call a liability.

How about this for a focusing question: what exactly would we want to Kickstart? Here are some of the ideas that seem to be floating around:

IN Update: What would go in this? I would suggest the following:
* Advance the timeline to the modern day. Alter some of the significant elements of the setting to fit modern pressures -- kill and establish some Tethers, alter some Word politics, perhaps drop some noodle incidents in the 2000s to leave some hooks for a new adventure collection.
* Finally publish the IN-native Grigori and Skulker material, including the now-defunct Choir Attunements and potential Band Attunements. This could also be a major 2000s incident -- their existence is confirmed and Hell starts acquiring Skulkers, even while Heaven leaves them Outcast.
* Update the GURPS conversion notes to 4e over the space of a few pages (most material will be similar in point costs and effects), and add some wordcount on placing the IN universe into the Infinite Worlds.
* Make any rules updates that Beth feels the line has accumulated a need for in the past few years.

A new Superior:
* Just that. Standard IN publication in native system format.
* GURPS stats are 4e. Comes with a short free separate updater document of the style "alter the following traits from GIN3e."

Other suggestions?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #25
dataweaver

+1 on your IN Update suggestions. For the “New Superiors” stuff, Is actually prioritize two existing Superiors: Jean and Jordi. Jean, because his book would be there place to address rules for technology in the IN setting, as well as how the last decades of technological progress have changed things. Jordi, because his book would be the place to address rules for animals in the IN setting: it would double as a bestiary of sorts.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #26
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
. . . I was suggesting a Kickstarter campaign because it strikes me as the least risk that SJGames could take short of the current “no risk, but no product either” state of affairs.
Lots of time and money go into a Kickstarter project _before_ the campaign even starts. Weeks, if not months, and thousands of dollars that could all be better spent on projects that are less risky and have a better chance of meeting the funding goal.

As to how to demonstrate demand: Not only forum activity, but also PDF sales of existing In Nomine titles. If we see a measurable bump in both, and indications that there's a new audience interested in the game, then we can start asking ourselves: "Is it time?"
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #27
Phantasm

So what kind of advertising would be done to drum up interest in the line so that there is a bump in sales, and folks that don't currently know IN exists but would be interested say "hey, I should check this out"?

Just waiting for that bump without letting folks know the product exists seems a bit too cautious, IMO.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
So what kind of advertising would be done to drum up interest in the line so that there is a bump in sales, and folks that don't currently know IN exists but would be interested say "hey, I should check this out"?

Just waiting for that bump without letting folks know the product exists seems a bit too cautious, IMO.
Well SJG does not have a large marketing budget, and it would be foolish to expect them to put any money behind it with no new product coming out in any case. So I think its up to the fans.
IN fans need to start talking about off these forums, blogs, social media, whatever you can.
Also does anyone use the Storium conversion? Talking about it there may also be productive.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 02-03-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #29
dataweaver

Problem is, without something new to talk about, there's really not much the fans can do in terms of talking it up.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:25 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
The traditional thing to do would be to run games -- in person, at conventions, online, what have you.
Quote:
Problem is, without something new to talk about, there's really not much the fans can do in terms of talking it up.
If your target is people who aren't current fans, everything is new.