Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
sparky00

Default Re: Airbrush Recommendations?

I only use the Createx paints for practice and painting paper, cloth, wood etc.

I have a couple bottles of opaque black i use for exercises when I haven't used the brushes for a while.

I've never used Createx on models, minis, etc. and don't plan to. I'm currently a fan of the Vallejo paint for models & minis.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I only use the Createx paints for practice and painting paper, cloth, wood etc.

I have a couple bottles of opaque black i use for exercises when I haven't used the brushes for a while.

I've never used Createx on models, minis, etc. and don't plan to. I'm currently a fan of the Vallejo paint for models & minis.
I have used them in the past, but like you, I’ve gone pretty much exclusively to Vallejo. Createx has a nice sand color. But adhesion is a bit suspect, although that’s the case with all airbrushed acrylics. My magic wash puts an almost bulletproof seal over the paint job, which is a second reason I use it.

Embarrassing to say, but I never seem to have time for exercises. Don Wheeler uses food coloring and sprays on paper towels for his exercises, by the way.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Don Wheeler uses food coloring and sprays on paper towels for his exercises, by the way.
That's pretty genius. I wonder if it hits the right consistency...or for that matter, if the "If it looks like 2% milk, you're good" is reliable or specific to a fixed PSI/needle pairing.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
That's pretty genius. I wonder if it hits the right consistency...or for that matter, if the "If it looks like 2% milk, you're good" is reliable or specific to a fixed PSI/needle pairing.
His webpage is a fabulous resource for anyone who uses an airbrush. I think that the food coloring works fine for painting exercises, but of course, it doesn't necessarily indicate the perfect viscosity of airbrush paints.

I've used an airbrush for quite some time, and every time I have to thin a paint, it's a beating. That's why I'm such a fan of Vallejo Model Air - they're good paints AND they're usable out of the bottle.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 PM   #15
tbeard1999

Quote:
I don't have one that's appropriate for an airbrush, no...just one of those little emergency 'plug into the car's cigarette lighter' ones that's one-lung, tankless, and about worthless for anything larger or higher pressure than a small beach ball.

Been considering a big one for getting air tools for the car [I'm getting too old to be laying in a stone driveway with a mallet and a breaker bar], but that's just as wildly inappropriate on the other end of the spectrum....If my reading is right, it's looking like a $400-ish proposition to get started to 'do it right', with a compressor marketed 'for airbrushes'...or $600-ish for a shop compressor. The booth is 'nice' rather than 'necessary', but I may as well do it right from the onset.

- $100 for the brush (Badger 105 XPR, recommended by Sparky)
- $150 for a decent compressor with built-in regulator
- $100 for a lit, vented spray box
- leaving $50 for a cleaning kit, medium, needles, hose, etc.
Badger makes good stuff so I doubt you’ll be disappointed. The 105 is very popular. I find gravity feed brushes to be far more convenient than bottle feed ones. They also require a bit less air pressure, which means a bit more control.

You absolutely can use tool grade compressors (I did initially), but the noise is brutal, especially when trying to do detail work.

You may be able to shave $160-180 off the total price though.

Harbor Freight has 1/6 hp airbrush compressors for $70; 1/5 hp for $88 https://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp...sor-93657.html I had one about 8 years ago and it wasn’t acceptable (I don’t recall why). Apparently, they’re better now. If money is an issue, you might try one out, if you can return it. You won’t hurt your airbrush.

I wouldn’t get the spray box at first, if you’re using acrylics. I bought a nice big Paasche Spray booth ($300 at the time (!)) and used it a lot for enamels. But now, I never use it. I now use acrylics exclusively and find I just don’t need the booth, especially when painting small stuff. The miniatures are small and you’ll have pretty fine control, so overspray isn’t a big deal. And acrylics don’t create a nasty smell. I’d try it without the spray booth and see how it works.

I don’t think respirators are critical, but I think I’m gonna start wearing a dust mask.

A plug for Testors Model Master Acryl White primer - it’s my go-to primer and is good for spraying out of the bottle. Of course, there are any numbers of colored primers too. Acryl flat Clear is my go-to matte clear.

Get an airbrush holder and cleaning jar. These can set you back $30-40 each, but I use the harbor freight ones - https://www.harborfreight.com/airbru...der-69449.html https://www.harborfreight.com/airbru...tle-68154.html $18 for both.

And I can’t recommend it enough - watch videos on how to clean your airbrush. The disassembly videos are interesting, but I’ve never had a need to disassemble my brushes.

You won’t go back to spray cans.

Oh almost forgot - get NYLON cleaner brushes. The metal ones are overly harsh on the interior of your airbrush.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 02-22-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
TheAmishStig

I'll try to digest the rest when I'm a little less exhausted, but would like to note that I'm looking at a cheap spray box for the turntable and lighting much more so than the ventilation. A lesson I learned years and years ago is that lousy lighting makes lousy minis.

I could probably build one cheaper, but my 'fire up the shop' list is already way too long. I need to cut a new CW arena, may end up cutting 3D Ogre Hex terrain if the hexes from Picoarmor disappoint, finish the new back steps, finish the new side railings, service the Shopsmith, devise a better dust collection system, and a few other things.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
tbeard1999

Quote:
I'll try to digest the rest when I'm a little less exhausted, but would like to note that I'm looking at a cheap spray box for the turntable and lighting much more so than the ventilation. A lesson I learned years and years ago is that lousy lighting makes lousy minis.
Here are the two desktop lights I have. I’ve had them for some months now and like them a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1