Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-06-2021, 04:12 AM   #1
wacktorious

Default Cleric's Resurrection on Kick Open The Door?

During a lovely day of Munchkin gaming with my friends last night (all of us fairly new to the game), I came across something that feels like an exploit - basically an easy win. I am wondering if we have understood the ruling/wording incorrectly and thus ended up cheating during our gameplay. For reference, we have the Munchkin Deluxe game.

I became a Cleric and when it was time for me to Kick Open The Door (which is face-up) I decided instead to take a Level 1 monster from the discard pile and discarding a card from my hand. I then used this monster to Look For Trouble and could easily beat it, gaining a level and treasure.

Here's the part which feels broken: The Level 1 monster I picked from the discard pile was quite far down in the pile, for argument's sake let's say the 10th card, meaning I took 10 card from the discard pile, then discarded 9 of these recently picked cards, kept the monster card and discarded 1 card from my hand.
We understood the wording on the card as: when you are about to draw a card face-up (Kick Open The Door), you can instead draw any amount of cards from the Door discard pile. Once those cards are drawn they become part of your hand. Now you must discard an equal amount of cards back into the discard pile.

This would eventually allow me to use this Resurrection exploit every turn to pull out a Level 1 monster from the discard pile, easily defeat it, and within 9 turns I would win the game.

Please advise
wacktorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Brf

Default Re: Cleric's Resurrection on Kick Open The Door?

Resurrection would only let you take the top card of the discard pile.
You are only allowed to resurrect as many card as you are allowed to draw face-up. Kick-in-the-door only allows you to draw one card, so you can only resurrect one card.
You would not be looking-for-trouble. The monster you draw from the discards replaces the card you would get from the door kick-in, which does not go into your hand when you draw a monster. Therefore, you would be in-combat with that monster as soon as you resurrected it.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:44 PM   #3
Ducallan

I know this thread is a bit on the old side, but I hope it's ok if I chime in.

You are using that ability incorrectly in several ways:

1) it is not *any amount*... you can only take a maximum of as many cards as you were supposed to draw face-up: for kicking down the door, it is one card only

2) you only take the top card(s) in the discard pile (same type that you were supposed to draw); there is nothing about the card that says you get to search for a monster, level 1 or otherwise

3) the card you take is treated exactly the same as it you drew it normally: if it was taken when you kicked down the door, you fight it if it's a monster, or you get cursed if it was a curse. You can only put it in your hand if it was neither a monster nor a curse.

Last edited by Ducallan; 07-24-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Ducallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:51 AM   #4
Mechatronic

I start my turn as a class other than cleric (e.g., thief or warrior) and there is a monster I want to fight on top of the discard deck of the door . In addition, I have a cleric class card in my hand.

In this case:

(a) can I discard the class I have at the beginning of my turn, play a new cleric class then discard any card and resurrect the monster this way?

(b) the discarded old class should be put back in the discard pile covering the monster thus preventing resurrection.
Mechatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #5
Brf

Yes. When you discard your old Class it becomes the top card of the discard pile, which would be the card you would resurrect.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote