Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-13-2022, 02:51 PM   #181
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yip: "If they can send troops through Tiskara, they don't need the ones hiding up here. Tiskara is the city they'd worry about trying to keep us"
"Well, does it really matter to Tiskara if Skalindir's in charge or not? Someone in Tiskara, maybe they don't have the force to take Skalindir's forces head-on, but maybe if they had surprise. After they take control of Bumundo, they could say, 'We're still willing to do business with you, all you have to do is ignore all of Skalindir's complaints. And if not, then someone else gets Bumundo.'"

Quote:
Rails Step Dad: "I don't want to report the information without at least that. Can you figure it out? do you know the direction you went, at least?"
"I could try retracing my steps, but I can't promise anything."

I'll do a lot of wandering around to make it look like I actually tried.

Quote:
Yeah, your chances of recognizing where "thin man" was are pretty low.

Any stratedgy to how he looks?
Not a clue.

Me neither. The thin man seems a bit like a dead end to me.

Could the bearded man be Skalindir? How many people know what Skalindir looks like? Maybe I got the whole scene backwards. Instead of a commander talking to an invading soldier, it's a governor talking to a spy.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #182
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"Well, does it really matter to Tiskara if Skalindir's in charge or not? Someone in Tiskara, maybe they don't have the force to take Skalindir's forces head-on, but maybe if they had surprise. After they take control of Bumundo, they could say, 'We're still willing to do business with you, all you have to do is ignore all of Skalindir's complaints. And if not, then someone else gets Bumundo.'"
Step-Father: "Skalindir has a great deal of power in Tiskara, and they will defend us. If conquered, we will be run from a different city"

Quote:
"I could try retracing my steps, but I can't promise anything."

I'll do a lot of wandering around to make it look like I actually tried.

Not a clue.

Me neither. The thin man seems a bit like a dead end to me.
The stepfather is really disapointed. He wants to do something, but feels that he can't go to the authorities with this story.

Quote:
Could the bearded man be Skalindir? How many people know what Skalindir looks like? Maybe I got the whole scene backwards. Instead of a commander talking to an invading soldier, it's a governor talking to a spy.
Possibly... How would you go about finding out about that?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #183
TGLS

Quote:
Step-Father: "Skalindir has a great deal of power in Tiskara, and they will defend us. If conquered, we will be run from a different city"
Quote:
The stepfather is really disapointed. He wants to do something, but feels that he can't go to the authorities with this story.
Quote:
Possibly... How would you go about finding out about that?
Well I was more thinking about what information someone who can't comprehend a language spoken could infer from context and such. For example, did the bearded man ever actually say 'Skalindir'? And if so, is Riask a language where people regularly refer to themselves in the third person? Was 'Skalindir' said with the same words prefixing/suffixing his name (like an honorific or a title)?

Does Skalindir have a well known face? I've shown my picture of the Bearded man to the other kids, and Rails's step father (I guess?), and if they didn't recognize him even though he's a well known guy, then that'd be a point against that theory.

I suppose I could go around showing the picture of the bearded man to lots of people. Maybe say that I saw him drop a coin purse and I want to give it back? If it is him, it might even give me an excuse to actually meet him and ask him who the thin man is.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #184
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well I was more thinking about what information someone who can't comprehend a language spoken could infer from context and such. For example, did the bearded man ever actually say 'Skalindir'? And if so, is Riask a language where people regularly refer to themselves in the third person? Was 'Skalindir' said with the same words prefixing/suffixing his name (like an honorific or a title)?
Riask doesn't do much self referencing in the third person. Both men said Skalindir. Skalindir was referred to with his title "councilor" several times, and it was missed several times, by both speakers.

Quote:
Does Skalindir have a well known face? I've shown my picture of the Bearded man to the other kids, and Rails's step father (I guess?), and if they didn't recognize him even though he's a well known guy, then that'd be a point against that theory.
They don't have photography, and Skalindir isn't important enough to get his face but on money or have statues made of him. Someone here has probably seen him though...

Quote:
I suppose I could go around showing the picture of the bearded man to lots of people. Maybe say that I saw him drop a coin purse and I want to give it back? If it is him, it might even give me an excuse to actually meet him and ask him who the thin man is.
That's an interesting tactic... do you want to go through with it?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-18-2022, 01:16 PM   #185
TGLS

Quote:
Riask doesn't do much self referencing in the third person. Both men said Skalindir. Skalindir was referred to with his title "councilor" several times, and it was missed several times, by both speakers.

They don't have photography, and Skalindir isn't important enough to get his face but on money or have statues made of him. Someone here has probably seen him though...
Seems pretty negative based on the way they were talking.

Quote:
That's an interesting tactic... do you want to go through with it?
I don't think so. Now it seems like a great way to get led down a dark alley and mugged.

I'll show the pictures around some more for the rest of the day, and wonder if destroying the spears was such a great idea while I try to fall asleep.

Last edited by TGLS; 07-18-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #186
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'll show the pictures around some more for the rest of the day, and wonder if destroying the spears was such a great idea while I try to fall asleep.
When Julian shows the picture to the vendor who sells him food (The two see each other a bit), the vendor says yeah, he's seen the guy. He showed up about the same time that Julian did, and has been visiting the market to buy food. Has a bunch of friends with him.

Julian has no dreams that night.

Old 07-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #187
TGLS

Quote:
When Julian shows the picture to the vendor who sells him food (The two see each other a bit), the vendor says yeah, he's seen the guy. He showed up about the same time that Julian did, and has been visiting the market to buy food. Has a bunch of friends with him.
The thin man I presume?
I thank the vendor very much!

Quote:
Julian has no dreams that night.
OK, so the next day, after work, I'll hang out in the market to try and spot the thin man.
Quote:
[28] 22-07-19 22:09:06 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 12
5 + 5 + 2 = 12 ... success
And if he happens to be in the market I'll try to follow him back to wherever he's staying.
Quote:
[29] 22-07-19 22:10:17 CEST
Shadowing (by Stealth-4 default)
3d6 <= 9
4 + 1 + 4 = 9 ... success
Wow, I thought I'd have to make multiple attempts. Of course, once skinny is accounted for that's a failure by two...
Old 07-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #188
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The thin man I presume?
correct

Quote:

OK, so the next day, after work, I'll hang out in the market to try and spot the thin man.

And if he happens to be in the market I'll try to follow him back to wherever he's staying.

Wow, I thought I'd have to make multiple attempts. Of course, once skinny is accounted for that's a failure by two...

A gruff guard with a spear moves towards Julian.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #189
TGLS

Quote:
A gruff guard with a spear moves towards Julian.
I'll back away, and try to play it off (Fast-talk? Acting?).

Quote:
[31] 22-07-20 19:18:49 CEST
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 12
4 + 4 + 5 = 13 ... failure
Well hopefully I don't get thumped over this. Did I at least see where the thin man was going, or anybody he was with?
Old 07-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #190
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'll back away, and try to play it off (Fast-talk? Acting?).

Well hopefully I don't get thumped over this. Did I at least see where the thin man was going, or anybody he was with?

You haven't seen the thin man yet.

The guard comes close:

"Why are you <something> around the market? Are you going to buy something, or are you just looking for <something> to steal from?"

Tags
lost in dreams