Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #71
syncrogt1

Default Re: Now On Kickstarter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseyalong View Post
From the KS Comments:
This is obviously not official, but my understanding is basically that you have to pledge a full $100, but it gets you $110 of credit toward add-ons, beyond which you can also add more if desired.
Excellent, thank you.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #72
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The minis aren't my biggest dislike with this edition so far... they're just the simplest thing to strip from it (and what I would be stripping out anyway) which might bring it down to a price point I'd be willing go in on.
If you stick to this, you will have to wait until 6th edition hits Walmart and the like. And maybe not event then.
Quote:
For instance, all I actually want right now is the rulesset (and a turning guide to check and see if it's keep to the same ratios).
The rule set looks like it might be free. Not unlike classic.
Quote:
I'm strongly disinterested in what the "card deck" build system appears to be from this distance‡, and really dislike "card draw" damage systems.
Hmmm. I must respectfully disagree, as both of those mechanics strike me as brilliant.
Quote:
For 51$ I might go in, but the words "not the complete Sixth Edition game" are a set back. If it just means "missing two dashboards, two car build card decks*, three minis, a playmat, and some dice" and a full game could be played anyway (it's not like you can't make your own 'dashboards' and sub in Hot Wheels cars, or any 1/64th scale models you prefer), I'd actually be tempted.
The $51 Two-Player Pack includes dice and two dashboards (and four miniatures). I am sure you could pen-and-paper the dashboards and card decks (for two more people), but you would be missing two sleds (and so, the streamlined crash system), and the play kind of sucks for half the table.

Or you could spend the extra $24 and get the full game (so, two more sleds, two more dashboards, and two more sets of card decks [and four more miniatures]).
Quote:
I mean, scaling back down to my preferred scale† wouldn't be hard, and if the rules are better than 3rd edition, I'd be really, really tempted...
Wish granted! Throw out the miniatures, and use the nice range of vehicles and terrain and scenery and arenas that you already have. The rules are better than third edition.
Quote:
‡ Intricately building the cars is half the fun of the older editions. Remove that and you've removed half the fun of the game for me.
This is true for me too. But thinking back though, because I was so much better (i.e., compulsive) at designing cars than my friends, I won the arena matches before they started. Which, with the benefit of hindsight, is why my friends stopped playing with me. :-(
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 AM   #73
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
This is true for me too. But thinking back though, because I was so much better (i.e., compulsive) at designing cars than my friends, I won the arena matches before they started. Which, with the benefit of hindsight, is why my friends stopped playing with me. :-(
Correct. If you try to turn a math exercise into a game, you immediately kill your chances at success. The more complicated the system, the more likely potential players are to abandon things entirely.

There is a lot of depth in the new car design system, and we managed that by eliminating unnecessary complexities that ruined the fun for others. Streamlining design has it so everyone can build -- and, if they wish, check -- cars in no more than 10 to 15 minutes. Much less for experienced players who enter into things with a concept in mind.

For those who want to play math, the earlier editions of the game exist. We even have the reprint packages coming up; there are a limited number available as a part of the current Kickstarter campaign.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #74
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We even have the reprint packages coming up
Any chance 5th edition might be in there? That ruleset (3 phase movement) is much better than CWC (5 phase movement) and the scale is better.

If only you had (1) released the nine core booklets at once, and (2) pre-punched the counters — I think 5th ed would have sold well for a decade.

Last edited by beetle496; 12-08-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #75
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Any chance 5th edition might be in there? That ruleset (3 phase movement) is much better than CWC (5 phase movement) and the scale is better.
There are no plans to reprint that edition. It is available in PDF:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products?...r+wars&x=0&y=0
Old 12-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #76
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are no plans to reprint that edition.
Well, better to be disappointed now than later! This 6e KS at least gave me the courage to finally laminate and cut up the rest of my 5e stuff.
Quote:
It is available in PDF.
Sorry, but SJG generally charges too much for PDFs. Half the cost of the original nicely printed version? That is nuts! I am glad to see SJG using Amazon for some POD stuff. Now, if only they did color and card stock…

I signed up for your PDF KS though. The price was right!
Old 12-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #77
43Supporter

Quote:
But thinking back though, because I was so much better (i.e., compulsive) at designing cars than my friends, I won the arena matches before they started. Which, with the benefit of hindsight, is why my friends stopped playing with me. :-(
I hear you; tho' in my case, it wasn't so much that I was better at design, but at *all* aspects of the game -- design; playing the Initiative system; using positioning, terrain, and such; all of it. (I won a "modern-era" duel using a car design with nothing which wasn't in the Pocket Box set, just to illustrate *why* the rest of NOVA kept getting their heads handed to them by me.)

How does this relate to _CW6_? Personally: I don't believe simplifying the design system is going to solve the problem of "player shows up for the duel with no clear idea of what he's doing" -- and indeed, *nothing* is going to fix *that* particular problem. The player who shows up with at least three Plans, plus the ability to "wing it", is still going to play Gallagher to his opponents' watermelons (man, did I ever date myself with *that* reference :) ). Maybe I can publish a "strategy and tactics" webpage when the game comes out....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:59 AM   #78
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Linked Weapons Pack unlocked:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2705350
Old 12-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #79
Racer

Default Re: Overseas Contributors ?

Both Rod (AKA Lightning Rod , Rodimus Prime , DynaRod etc) & Deathtrick (who've I've not heard from in over a decade) both wish to invest , but raise concerns over final items being distributed overseas ?

Rod has got basic package & would like to invest more , but has had tremendous difficulties with some Kickstarter projects he's previously helped with : massively delayed deliveries - 7 months after most US/Canadian investors got their's (going by social media posts) ?
And with a different manufacturer he'd had ALL the metal miniatures removed by customs & resealed & then delivered ! No explanation & company left puzzled to & gave him 35% refund . He instead bought figures via eBay later that year .

Deathtrick lives in rural Devon (far southwest of England) & despite no indication on that Kickerstarter 'mission statement' , company involved would ONLY ship product to small London distribution centre & where unhelpful about having item forwarded to him , even after he offered to cover additional transportation ! He had to eventually get a friend to pick it up & that caused further complications , as he 'wasn't person on list' etc . Took couple of phonecalls & multiple emails to sort that particular mess out ...

Neither of these were SJG kickstarters & much smaller launches than CarWars 6th .

Rod has fair bit of capital in projects that interested in , but wary for obvious reasons .

Last edited by Racer; 12-08-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Spellings , grammar & more 'autocorrection' problems ...
Old 12-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #80
AhabDarab

In the descriptions of the various different add on miniature sets it written that 4 bases are included. Does anyone know if they are clear and colorless or if they are clear and colored like in the base set? Any help would be appreciated.

Other than that keep up the great work.

Ahab out . . .
Closed Thread