Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
pinchus

Default rule clarification

I'm new to the game and can't figure out a few rules :)

1) are you allowed to give charity even if you have five cards or less?
for instance you want to give a monster or wandering monster to one person so that they can prevent someone else from winning on their next turn,

2) If you have a big item in play and you want to play a different big item, do you have to sell the item or can you just replace it like a class or race you don't want anymore?

thanks
pinchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: rule clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchus View Post
I'm new to the game and can't figure out a few rules :)

1) are you allowed to give charity even if you have five cards or less?
for instance you want to give a monster or wandering monster to one person so that they can prevent someone else from winning on their next turn,
No, you can only give Charity if you have more than five cards (six for a Dwarf)

Quote:
2) If you have a big item in play and you want to play a different big item, do you have to sell the item or can you just replace it like a class or race you don't want anymore?
You can't just discard it. You have to sell or try to trade with another player who can legally have it. If you can't do that, you can't play the new Big Item
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
chrismalenurse

Quote:

You also may get rid of the big item by cursing yourself with a curse that would remove it, or powering an ability that requires discarding a card.
chrismalenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
You can't just discard it. You have to sell or try to trade with another player who can legally have it. If you can't do that, you can't play the new Big Item
Actually, you can still play the new Big item, and then you have to choose a Big item to get rid of. Clipper posted about it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Here's a step-by-step process that shows what you can do:

Problem: You have too many Big Items.
1: Do you have any legal action that you want to do and is legal for you to do at this time to rectify your setup (e.g., playing Cheat!, selling Items for levels, playing Dwarf, finding a person who will willingly take or trade an Item, etc.)? YES: Do that action immediately and recheck if problem still exists. No: Go to 2.

2: Can any other player carry a Big Item? Yes: Go to 3. No: Go to 4.

3: Of the players that can take a Big Item, pick from the ones who have the lowest Level and give that player one Big Item. If you still have too many Big Items, return to 1. Otherwise you are done.

4: Discard Big Items until your setup is legal.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
pinchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
No, you can only give Charity if you have more than five cards (six for a Dwarf)

correct me if I'm wrong but in the rules it says
Quote:
(4) Charity: If you have more than five cards in your hand,
you must play enough of them to get down to five, or give the
excess to the player with the lowest Level.
saying that if you have 5 or more you MUST give charity, implying that if you have 5 you CAN give charity if you want to
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzzo View Post
Actually, you can still play the new Big item, and then you have to choose a Big item to get rid of. Clipper posted about it here:
I don't think so. I thought Clipper was detailing what to do if you end up having too many Big items, not saying that you can deliberately create that situation by playing too many when it isn't legal.

I am virtually certain that if you have a Big item in play, and you aren't allowed more than one, you can't play another to "force" yourself to discard the first.

The steps he details in the quote you listed are for situations where you end up with too many Big items (like you were a Dwarf, with multiple Big items, but lost or discarded your Dwarf card).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchus View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but in the rules it says

saying that if you have 5 or more you MUST give charity, implying that if you have 5 you CAN give charity if you want to
I'm pretty sure that the intent is to detail the circumstances under which the Charity rule comes into play. If you don't have excess cards in your hand at the end of the turn, then Charity doesn't come into play at all.

It has been ruled before that you can't just give other people non-item cards without something specifically allowing it, and without too many cards in your hand, the Charity rule doesn't provide that justification. Of this I am virtually certain.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
pinchus

another question:
if you lose your dwarf race mid combat- you have to discard/give away all you excess big cards

the question is: do you have to get rid of them immediately or after the fight - difference is whether of not you can sell them/equip an hireling with said big item
Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
pinchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'm pretty sure that the intent is to detail the circumstances under which the Charity rule comes into play. If you don't have excess cards in your hand at the end of the turn, then Charity doesn't come into play at all.

It has been ruled before that you can't just give other people non-item cards without something specifically allowing it, and without too many cards in your hand, the Charity rule doesn't provide that justification. Of this I am virtually certain.
thanks for the clarification
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Mister Ed

You have to deal with the excess immediately. Unfortunately, during combat there are not a lot of legal options other than giving them away/discarding them. You could play another Dwarf card if you had one (assuming it was your turn, or you had somehow just recieved it if it wasn't your turn) to allow you to keep the extra items. But you can't sell during combat, you can't play a hireling during combat (there's a lot of stuff you can't do during combat) and you can't wait until combat is over to deal with the situation.

Tags
big items, charity