Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #611
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

The Animal Angle
In a day-after-tomorrow setting, a researcher figures out how to make a fairly good AI by combining high tech circuitry with animal brains. The resulting top secret military program uses raccoons, pigeons, octopuses, snakes, crabs, and who knows what else as covert agents, able to go where humans cannot. The PC's are these experimental cyborg animals, neither truly flesh nor truly machine. So much depends on their performance... including their own fates.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #612
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The Animal Angle
In a day-after-tomorrow setting, a researcher figures out how to make a fairly good AI by combining high tech circuitry with animal brains. The resulting top secret military program uses raccoons, pigeons, octopuses, snakes, crabs, and who knows what else as covert agents, able to go where humans cannot. The PC's are these experimental cyborg animals, neither truly flesh nor truly machine. So much depends on their performance... including their own fates.
That could go a lot of different ways, but personally I would play it philosophical. Should I strive to become "pure" and what would pure be? Am I an animal enhanced by electronics, or an AI moderated by tissue?
Old 08-19-2021, 07:55 AM   #613
Anaraxes

Afghanistan has 22 tons of gold in a bank in New York*. There's nine or ten times that much scattered around other locations. Overseas assets are being frozen by various countries, so the Taliban can't access the ten billion or so. You know what that means.

Heist adventures!

--
* It's the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, actually. But then, I wouldn't have needed to call you all together for an easy target. Adjust your BAD accordingly.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #614
David Johnston2

Look up a map of Antarctica if all the ice melted and use it as a map for your fantasy game. The players will never notice.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #615
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Afghanistan has 22 tons of gold in a bank in New York*. There's nine or ten times that much scattered around other locations. Overseas assets are being frozen by various countries, so the Taliban can't access the ten billion or so. You know what that means.

Heist adventures!

--
* It's the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, actually. But then, I wouldn't have needed to call you all together for an easy target. Adjust your BAD accordingly.
There's a NYC Bank level in the new Hitman games, rip off that for the scenario, I would suggest.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:04 PM   #616
jason taylor

PC x is a hacker with the NSA and PC y is a counterpart in the Chinese cyberwarfare program. Any two rival nations with enough technology to have a cyberwarfare program will do as replacements (Israel/Palestine, India/Pakistan, etc) and even petty warlords can afford one or two pretty good geeks on their private army nowadays. The players should be accepting of the matchup though.

Anyway they are long time opponents. They know all of each other's handles and have been opponents on many clashes in the web. They have yet to see each other's faces and are a mystery to each other.

Somehow they come across evidence that aliens are on Earth with sinister intentions. They team up without the knowledge of their respective agencies to partner against the mutual threat to both countries.

This story can grow bigger until it becomes a whole space opera epic. It might end up with Earth propelled into an intersteller universe as a new kid on the block and a Terran federation having to be formed. More pcs can be added on, and there can be several generations of pcs some children of previous ones.

Last edited by jason taylor; 08-24-2021 at 02:20 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #617
jason taylor

Here's one I got from the book Blood Royal.

The King of a multinational crown just died without issue (this is in a verse where the monarch is head of government as well as head of state). There are several claimants to the throne. The claims of the different ones are various and sundry. The wise men of the realms (the lords spiritual and secular and the most powerful burghers and guildmasters, etc) appoint a joint committee from each constituent nation to choose the successor.

The PCs can play as the committee or it's bodyguards. The later may be more interesting. Likely there will be an assassination plot. Or there could be a unit of loyal knights chosen specifically to make sure the decision was enforced.

By the way this is how Ferdinand of Aragon came to the throne. It was generally conceded that his legal claim was not the best but no one's claim was very good anyway and he was known for being rich (so he could pay out of his own pocket unless he was going to war), and canny on the battlefield thus making the possibility of a functionally useful king. As it turned out according to the wikipedia he apparently was skilled at his job and his reign was a good one.

Another interesting fact was that a future saint served on that committee. The Dominican, Vincent Ferrer, a famous preacher, but apparently also known in political circles.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #618
Mark Caliber

Quote:

Heist adventures!

--
And awful twist to this plot is for the GM to 'reveal' that the Afghan gold was rehypothecated decades ago . . .
Mark Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #619
jason taylor

Quote:

Heist adventures!

--
Speaking of that I read a book by a jeweler who has a shop in a sort of bazaar in Hawaii. He goes to Afghanistan to trade and prospect and has a number of contacts including blatantly admitting that he has friends at the CIA. When the Russians came, the Afghan government cut a deal with him to liquify their local treasures in preparation.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #620
Anders

Quote:
And 22 tons isn't that much in volume. It's a little more than a cubic meter, 1½ cubic yards.