Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Lord of the Rings Stats?

There is a long history of people arguing over how you are supposed to stat LOTR characters for games, with the two major camps being, 'as you would anyone else' vs. 'the big ones are world striding heroes who should be untouchable by normal characters, or in some cases gods who should be impossible to describe by rules.' This is obviously a matter of taste, but I have always fallen into the former camp, regardless of system. And I think given the narrow range of power levels where TFT works best, you don't do yourself any favors by giving the protagonists wild stats. In my mind, Gandalf is a 55-60 point character, Aragorn ~50, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli are ~40-45 point characters, and hobbitses is standard beginning hobbitses.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
There is a long history of people arguing over how you are supposed to stat LOTR characters for games, with the two major camps being, 'as you would anyone else' vs. 'the big ones are world striding heroes who should be untouchable by normal characters, or in some cases gods who should be impossible to describe by rules.' ...
Hi Larsdangly.
Well in the case of Gandalf, he IS in fact a holy being / angel / demi-god, and a powerful one at that. I would have no problems with him and the other Istari being written up with powers and abilities that normal characters could never match.

I saw the hobbits as a bit above average, (say a 33 to 35 attribute characters), at the start of the books, but with few adventuring talents.

I agree with you for the rest.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRaysVision View Post
Being new to TFT and the community, I'll ask a simple question.

Has anyone made up TFT stats for Tolkien characters?

I have a ton of figures and would like to use them for both role playing and combat.
Howard Thompson. See the adventure in Dragons of Underearth.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
Nils_Lindeberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
There is a long history of people arguing over how you are supposed to stat LOTR characters for games, with the two major camps being, 'as you would anyone else' vs. 'the big ones are world striding heroes who should be untouchable by normal characters, or in some cases gods who should be impossible to describe by rules.' This is obviously a matter of taste, but I have always fallen into the former camp, regardless of system. And I think given the narrow range of power levels where TFT works best, you don't do yourself any favors by giving the protagonists wild stats. In my mind, Gandalf is a 55-60 point character, Aragorn ~50, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli are ~40-45 point characters, and hobbitses is standard beginning hobbitses.
Gandalf did fight the Balrog for days… Hard to do or simulate in any system, unless it was some sort of cat and mouse game and not as epic as suggested.
On the other hand when he was chased up a tree he threw burning pine cones. Not exactly super epic.
Maybe that Balrog battle was mostly his version of it after all. :-)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
jason taylor

Don't forget to write up MacGuffins. The Ring is practically a character.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Don't forget to write up MacGuffins. The Ring is practically a character.
And in the movie, Gollum is two characters!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
JLV

He was in the SPI War of the Ring game too! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote