Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default UT, war, and logistics

In many fictional futures the concept of closed or nearly closed systems demand that human beings get comfortable with the idea that their dearly departed's mortal remains are going to be used in the hydroponics section to help feed everyone later on. Circle of Life and all that.

Taking that a step further such that militaries from these cultures may not be at all averse to taking a short cut across that circle and padding out their organic logistic capabilities by the use of more direct means to convert battle casualties to field rations. Cannibal nano or other swarms may be useful for this by rendering the biomass of friends and foes alike to a range of field rations and even packaging them by converting inorganic materials for that purpose.

Discuss.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Dustin

Default Re: UT, war, and logistics

If you're born to an environment where biomass is precious and conserved, such that you don't balk at your own fecal matter going into the hopper for tomorrow's breakfast, I don't think anybody will bat an eye at every dead body being grist for the mill as well, unless there are religious objections (and those may evolve away if they are strategically disadvantageous).
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Tema69

I know from first hand experience that soldiers will eat anything and complain about it.
It does seem like a farflung future / alternate universe though, seeing how we are so focused on treating the dead properly, giving correct funerals, and avoiding the most recent airforce scandal.
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
Taking that a step further such that militaries from these cultures may not be at all averse to taking a short cut across that circle and padding out their organic logistic capabilities by the use of more direct means to convert battle casualties to field rations.
Army Green . . . is PEOPLE!!!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Does it rise to the point of being a good challenge of cultural assumptions on both sides? I am looking at it as a model for finding what living in space/distant worlds may do to social mores and then having plots hinge on such things.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
In many fictional futures the concept of closed or nearly closed systems demand that human beings get comfortable with the idea that their dearly departed's mortal remains are going to be used in the hydroponics section to help feed everyone later on. Circle of Life and all that.

Taking that a step further such that militaries from these cultures may not be at all averse to taking a short cut across that circle and padding out their organic logistic capabilities by the use of more direct means to convert battle casualties to field rations.
Militaries from cultures like that are most likely to be mostly space navies which certainly might dispose of shipboard fatalities by putting them into the recycling facilities but aren't likely to deal with the wrecks of their defeated foes that way. Too much risk for too little reward.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Cannibalistic cultures either only eat enemies or only eat loved ones. I imagine a hypothetical future people would act similarly.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Cannibalistic cultures either only eat enemies or only eat loved ones. I imagine a hypothetical future people would act similarly.
If everything from poop, used engine oil, dirt and dead people all go into the same organic material reprocessing unit, that may not apply. They may simply consider a corpse (ally or enemy) garbage, and food is reprocessed garbage.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
cosmicfish

I could see this working - it could originate as necessity in those closed systems (people either got used to it or found a way to leave the system) and then got enshrined as a "showing respect for the dead by using them to nourish the living" sort of thing.

But it would have to start in that closed system before it would likely spread to an open system, and would need a strong cultural push from that originating culture to be maintained. Otherwise, the ready availability of biomass would tend to favor at least SOME to just preserve or ignore the dead.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Yes, but most cannibalistic cultures have a diet consisting of people in the same way Southern Baptists have a pot luck based diet. It has a principally social, not nutritional, meaning. The scenario presented here is use of human bodies as a significant nutritional contribution.

And oh my god pirates mounting a plank above the biomass recycler...

Tags
icky futures, logistics, ultra tech