Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: That's a fast archer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
He is shooting with enough force to piece several inches into a target through ring mail. I would say that is deadly force. Also the 11 arrows he puts in the air before the first hits the ground would have the same efficiency of arrows fired at 1/2 D range.
If you think that's realistic, just say that Heroic Archer is a realistic advantage. A Heroic Archer can shoot 10 arrows in five seconds, just like this Lars guy.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
He is shooting with enough force to piece several inches into a target through ring mail.
What type of material is he shooting into? I'm not going to count that "ring mail" as providing any DR, but if you can find out enough details on what he was using, then I'll try to figure it out.

Quote:
I would say that is deadly force.
How many watts do you figure he can put into that archery? Eighty? Probably a lot less. That translates into arrows with between five and twenty joules, and I think that's being generous. You might be able to squeeze one damage out of that, if you are incredibly generous in your assumptions. So, I guess he could pierce something with DR .25 and then pierce an inch or two into something designed for it. And that's assuming he's using real arrows, which he's not.

It might be deadly if it hits you in the eye at the exact wrong angle. It's theoretically possible, I guess. Maybe it could slice open an artery.

The reason archery takes lots of practice is to build muscles that can generate the energy levels required to usefully employ a bow. It has nothing to do with secret techniques. Bows are springs. It's all about how much power you can put into the bow. Brawn wins out over brains in this case.

My blog.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 04-22-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
zoncxs

in Martial arts it talks about rapid firing arrows.

2 rolls vs bow skill at -6 each allows a person to ready the bow and fire in one second, add in a fast draw (arrow) skill roll and you can fire every second.

so make a combination move:

rapid fire shooting:

fast draw arrow
bow -6 (ready bow)
bow -6 (fire bow)

Last edited by zoncxs; 04-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
GodlessRose

Quote:
He is shooting with enough force to piece several inches into a target through ring mail. I would say that is deadly force. Also the 11 arrows he puts in the air before the first hits the ground would have the same efficiency of arrows fired at 1/2 D range.
Just read the thread that was linked to. This has all been gone over before.

Check the credits at the end of Andersen's video. He admits he is using 30-35 lb bows. And he clearly isn't drawing the string back all the way, either. There is no way he could punch through real mail like that.

In GURPS, this would be handled with one or more rolls against Bow Art. He seems quite good at his tricks, so there would probably be a steep penalty to perform the show correctly. An Acting roll might be required to recite his nonsense with a straight face, or Performance if you aren't actually trying to convince people it's true. (Of course, he used neither skill in the video, opting for computer-generated narration instead.) Sleight of Hand (to palm a broken link) would also help to make the armor penetration test look real.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Anthony

If you look at the video, he's clearly using a shorter than normal draw to shoot fast; that cuts arrow power by quite a lot. We also have no information about the draw weight of his bow. In the end, the speed with which you can draw a bow is determined by the maximum power output of your muscles and the total energy storage of the bow, so you can do a super-fast draw as long as you don't care about high energy.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
DanHoward

Quote:
The toy he is using would be lucky to deliver a single point of GURPS damage. Read the thread in the above link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlessRose View Post
Sleight of Hand (to palm a broken link) would also help to make the armor penetration test look real.
If he was shooting at some mass-produced Indian riveted mail then he could have broken a link. Those links are hammered very thin to make them easier to punch. You can break them with your fingers.

Last edited by DanHoward; 04-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
If he was shooting at some mass-produced Indian mail then he could have broken a link. Those links are hammered very thin to make them easier to punch. You can break them with your fingers.
I just tried to open up my neck a bit (tired of getting it caught on my ears and the aventail covers the gap anyway) and it took me hours with wire-cutters to remove five links (and I cut my hand doing it)! Maybe some Indian made mail is better than others? Or am I just that weak?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
DanHoward

There are different types but none of them look or perform much like museum examples. A lot of them remind me of soda can ring tabs.
http://www.snexports.com/chainmaille-armour-detail.html

Last edited by DanHoward; 04-23-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
If multiplying by 1.5 gives GURPS a "Math is hard!" reputation, you can only imagine what multiplying by 0.7 will bring.
Dividing by 1.5 is the same as multiplying by 0.7.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Dividing by 1.5 is the same as multiplying by 0.7.
????????????????????? Could you explain this statement please?
Closed Thread

Tags
bow art