Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Statting heroes from the Trojan War?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Anyway, I'd put Achilles at 500 points or so. Diomedes, Ajax and Odysseus at about the same. And Aeneas, who is my favorite character because I love the Aeneid. Fan-fiction for the win!
I think to do justice to Odysseus's feats you really need around 700 points. Of course he has two epics, one of which is mainly about him.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think to do justice to Odysseus's feats you really need around 700 points. Of course he has two epics, one of which is mainly about him.
Yeah, I'd start around 500 for Diomedes, and then start considering Patrons...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, he takes 10 years to get home. That's plenty of time to gain Character Points, especially if he roleplays well...
Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Well, he takes 10 years to get home. That's plenty of time to gain Character Points, especially if he roleplays well...
I don't see much evidence that he gains enhanced abilities between his departure for Troy and the killing of the suitors. Maybe he gets a bit sneakier. But mostly the Greek (and Trojan) heroes appear to be archetypal figures who change very little.

To be sure, Odysseus roleplays incredibly well.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'm only lightly versed on the classics. But Odysseus just can't be statted without the Good/Bad luck combo I always referred to as Gilligan-luck. Absurdly bad stuff just falls on him, but it's always those around him that drop like flies.
Weirdness Magnet, even for a Greek epic, at the very least.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
Anders

In the Odyssey he has a Destiny says he can't get home for ten years.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
In the Odyssey he has a Destiny says he can't get home for ten years.
I believe it's actually a Divine Curse.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm only lightly versed on the classics. But Odysseus just can't be statted without the Good/Bad luck combo I always referred to as Gilligan-luck. Absurdly bad stuff just falls on him, but it's always those around him that drop like flies.
Weirdness Magnet, even for a Greek epic, at the very least.
In at least one version, the problem was that he did something (I forget exactly what) to annoy the goddess Athena at the end of the Trojan War. She was normally fond of him for being so clever and smart and wise, but she was really ticked off by whatever his offense was.

Anyway, she visits various nastiness on him as he tries to get back to Ithaca, but he's so smart and clever he manages to survive it all and finally make his way home. The people around him probably would too, but generally they run into trouble by ignoring his orders/advice.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I could have sworn the problem was Poseidon, not Athena. He makes some sort of boast against him and then Poseidon and Athena start a little game of 'Mortals'

Most of the heroes have a divine patron worth a lot of points, and divine enemies show up as well.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #20
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I could have sworn the problem was Poseidon, not Athena. He makes some sort of boast against him and then Poseidon and Athena start a little game of 'Mortals'

Most of the heroes have a divine patron worth a lot of points, and divine enemies show up as well.
This is it exactly. Odysseus had actually done something during the war itself that Poseidon took offense to, but Poseidon was convinced by the other gods - primarily Zeus and Athene - to not punish Odysseus until the war was over. (Looking back on it, I actually think it had something to do with a boast about the Argives' defensive fortifications around where their ships were docked; the first thing Poseidon did after the war was over was destroy the fortifications.)

Athene was actually helping Odysseus when she could.

(Poor guy, Odysseus... he spends ten years at war and ten years journeying home ... and then is sentenced to another ten years exile for violating hospitality rules by slaughtering his wife's suitors, who were technically guests in the palace.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
achilles, question, stat, trojan