Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Toxic Memes] Memetics: rules, power, effectiveness etc.

Greetings, all!

In another discussion a poster mentioned that THS memetics is like mind control. I countered by making a real-world example political campaign - a rough approximation for launching 'Vote Putin!' (with -7 for not having memetic software, since psychology TL in Soviet/Post-Soviet space is perhaps as low as 7, and definitely no better than 8). Even when I assumed 2-year planning, and took away the -7 for no memetic program, the results were underwhelming compared to the real-world results (definitely not enough to get a majority vote, perhaps not even enough to get 25%, depending on roll and chosen level of % per MoS).

OTOH, I heard whswhs had a moment in a game where he found memetics to be extremely strong. But back then I didn't have the book to see and understand the mechanics behind the event.

I'd like to hear opinions on the game-mechanical/world-statistical effects of memetics, arguments why they are considered infallible mind control by some posters, perhaps any murphies etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 09-01-2011 at 03:30 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crunch, memetics, toxic memes