Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
JohnLynch

Default Good sources for fantasy/D&D monsters and races?

I'm looking at running a GURPS DF campaign and I was hoping to see what books are available to use for a DF/GURPS campaign.

I've found DF Monsters 1-3 but haven't purchased them yet as I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else available. There's also a handful mentioned in GURPS Fantasy. Are there any other good sources? This blog post mentions hobgoblins but I couldn't find anything that has them.

Are these the best resources for me? Would people recommend 3rd edition material instead? Or just make it up myself? (I'm okay with making it up. I just wanted to see what resources there are first).
JohnLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:04 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Good sources for fantasy/D&D monsters and races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
I'm looking at running a GURPS DF campaign and I was hoping to see what books are available to use for a DF/GURPS campaign.

I've found DF Monsters 1-3 but haven't purchased them yet as I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else available. There's also a handful mentioned in GURPS Fantasy. Are there any other good sources? This blog post mentions hobgoblins but I couldn't find anything that has them.

Are these the best resources for me? Would people recommend 3rd edition material instead? Or just make it up myself? (I'm okay with making it up. I just wanted to see what resources there are first).
3rd edition bestiaries are usable with only slight changes.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
JohnLynch

Thanks. Are they the best source you'd recommends? Any particular one more than others?

[EDIT]: Just saw GURPS Fantasy Folk which has both goblins and kobolds. Would people recommend that more? (those were the sorts of monsters I was ideally looking for).

Last edited by JohnLynch; 04-06-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
krapou

Lots of D&D monsters (3rd edition) were converted to GURPS, and published here:
http://gurpswiki.wikidot.com/system:...dnd_conversion
Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Rasputin

Quote:
Just saw GURPS Fantasy Folk which has both goblins and kobolds. Would people recommend that more? (those were the sorts of monsters I was ideally looking for).
GURPS Fantasy Folk is racial templates rather than monsters. GURPS Fantasy Bestiary is monsters.

I have a list for all those that are Dungeon Fantasy-specific. I compiled it for other reasons, but it does give supplement and page number.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
mlangsdorf

Quote:

In the DF line, the following books also serve as beastiaries:
* Allies (natural animals, low powered divine servants, familiars)
* Summoners (undead, elementals, nature spirits)
* Psi (various psionic monsters)
* Henchmen (humanoids)
* Next Level (racial templates)

Some of them are more build-your-own-monster than others, though. It isn't hard to work out that a Living Inferno Warrior of Flame Fire Elemental Skirmisher has
ST 20, DX 18, HT 16, HP 20, Will 12, Basic Speed 9, DR 8 (+15 versus fire/heat), a 6d burning aura, and a 4d burning whip, plus a bunch of skills and whatnot, but it isn't as easy as opening up Monsters 1 and looking up the stats for a Flame Lord.

Still, they're useful books in their own right and I've never regretted owning them as a GM.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Phantasm

My go-to 3e books are Bestiary, Fantasy Bestiary, Dinosaurs, and Villains. Of those, I'd probably replace Dinosaurs with Lands Out Of Time (for 4e) for fiercer dinos more suited for DF, though for dinos and other creatures not covered in Lands you can definitely just increase the stats. For a truly dire dinosaur, don't even adjust the 3e ST to 4e ST, but definitely look at increasing the damage done to a level that'll challenge the players.

Villains is great because you can use or adapt any number of folks in nearly any setting, and each one has plenty of flavor.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-18-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #8
Anthony

I would note that most critters in GURPS are not really designed around any particular concept of balance, so if you want to use them in a game it's likely that you'll want to tweak them anyway.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Refplace

My list
http://refplace.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_47.html
Covers Third and Fourth Editions as well as listing a few blogs that have thier own lists.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
JohnLynch

Thanks everyone :) This will definitely help me work out which books to prioritise getting.