Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #11
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: A Character keeps crashing GCA and other requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post
By the way, thanks for sending me back the character. It works now. Funnily enough Damage Resistance is something I wanted to rework anyway.
You're welcome.

Quote:
As you may have guessed, by putting advantages in equipment and assigning them a $ and weight value, I was recreating the results of the Metatronics Generator.

I'll make sure not to include DR in a parent trait that is an equipment!
I completely respect your right and desire to to do that! I apologize for the bug that currently breaks GCA when protection advantages are included as children of Equipment items.

I hope to have a new build of GCA available soonish, and hopefully the fix I made will let you return to structuring the traits as you'd like.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:39 AM   #12
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I apologize for the bug that currently breaks GCA when protection advantages are included as children of Equipment items.

I hope to have a new build of GCA available soonish, and hopefully the fix I made will let you return to structuring the traits as you'd like.
Oh, not at all! I am still learning what can be done with GCA and I was pleasantly surprised to see you could use advantages under parent equipment and their point cost would not be calculated. It's pretty flexible. The incident thought there might be better ways to recreate these advantages (notably DR) by using one of the _equipment template.

I also like how you can use different views (unified, classic, sheet) to build and edit your character.

Regarding character sheets, I generally prefer the official GURPS sheet but it would be great if it was a bit more flexible (like spring bandit) and advantages/disadvantages/skills would not overflow on the third page. Any plans to change that?

Also, a minor point, I find the lines linking parents and child traits distracting. The fact the child is indented is quite enough. Is there a option to turn them off?

Thanks!
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:10 AM   #13
Stormcrow

Quote:
Regarding character sheets, I generally prefer the official GURPS sheet but it would be great if it was a bit more flexible (like spring bandit) and advantages/disadvantages/skills would not overflow on the third page. Any plans to change that?
I believe there are no plans to make the official sheet more flexible (then it would no longer be the official sheet), but you can overcome overflowing boxes by using either a smaller font size or a font that is less widely spaced. You can actually squeeze quite a bit more in without reducing font size if you just use a narrower font for user text.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #14
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Oh, not at all! I am still learning what can be done with GCA and I was pleasantly surprised to see you could use advantages under parent equipment and their point cost would not be calculated. It's pretty flexible. The incident thought there might be better ways to recreate these advantages (notably DR) by using one of the _equipment template.

I also like how you can use different views (unified, classic, sheet) to build and edit your character.
I'm glad to know it's appreciated. Hopefully you'll be able to continue to enjoy it that way soon.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I believe there are no plans to make the official sheet more flexible (then it would no longer be the official sheet), but you can overcome overflowing boxes by using either a smaller font size or a font that is less widely spaced. You can actually squeeze quite a bit more in without reducing font size if you just use a narrower font for user text.
I am indeed somewhat resistant to making many structural changes to the Official Sheet.

However, the *first* thing that the Official Sheet needs is a rewrite, so that it's more flexible in construction. Once that's done, I will reconsider certain aspects of the sheet printing, such as overflowing the Advantage/Disadvantage and Skill columns onto Page 2 before starting the Weapons/Equipment page. (I include some Official Character Sheet (OCS) block options in the GCA Prime Sheet, which will be able to be ported over to a rewritten OCS at some point. GCA Prime kind of demonstrates how some of the new flexibility might work on the OCS.)

Quote:
Also, a minor point, I find the lines linking parents and child traits distracting. The fact the child is indented is quite enough. Is there a option to turn them off?

Thanks!
There is no option at present, but that's one that should be easily added, so I'll add it to my Sheets To Do list.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:09 PM   #15
DreadDomain

Quote:

I am indeed somewhat resistant to making many structural changes to the Official Sheet.

However, the *first* thing that the Official Sheet needs is a rewrite, so that it's more flexible in construction. Once that's done, I will reconsider certain aspects of the sheet printing, such as overflowing the Advantage/Disadvantage and Skill columns onto Page 2 before starting the Weapons/Equipment page. (I include some Official Character Sheet (OCS) block options in the GCA Prime Sheet, which will be able to be ported over to a rewritten OCS at some point. GCA Prime kind of demonstrates how some of the new flexibility might work on the OCS.)
Actually, now that I am playing with the Prime Sheet, it might be all I need!

If I may, the sheet would look better if the boxes would use thinner lines (like the OCS does), if gaps between boxes were narrower (again, like OCS) and if sections would fill with empty lines to ensure all boxes finish at the bottom of the pages.

Aside from these aesthetic comments, the sheet is excellent and gives a lot of what I am after!

Last edited by DreadDomain; 08-16-2022 at 11:54 PM.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #16
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
If I may, the sheet would look better if the boxes would use thinner lines (like the OCS does), if gaps between boxes were narrower (again, like OCS) and if sections would fill with empty lines to ensure all boxes finish at the bottom of the pages.
The lines and the spacing are things I can make user adjustable.

Extending the boxes, though, I'm not so sure about. You're often talking about fractions of inches which aren't enough for whole lines. You'd be trading mismatched alignment outside the box for mismatched spacing inside the box.

And since each section gets laid out before the next, if the gap to the bottom of the page is because the next section won't fit there, the last one in that column has no idea it would need to fill the space. Changing that would require another layout pass to find such cases and stretch the boxes, and that would be a bunch more work for me, for what I think would end up looking weird.

I'll put all of these comments on my To Do list, though. If I get time at some point I may be able to play around with stretching boxes to reach the bottom, and if I do, may be able to make it an option for the user. But that one is definitely not likely any time soon.

Quote:
Aside from these aesthetic comments, the sheet is excellent and gives a lot of what I am after!
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #17
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
....Email the character to me...and I will do my best to figure out what the problem is and get it back to you in working order. And maybe add a way to trap for the problem in GCA so it doesn't happen in the future....
Just a note that I think it's cool you would offer to do that. I've had so many problems with other companies' and even governmental "customer support" that I really appreciate seeing the real thing!
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:14 AM   #18
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Just a note that I think it's cool you would offer to do that. I've had so many problems with other companies' and even governmental "customer support" that I really appreciate seeing the real thing!
Thank you!
Old 12-09-2022, 03:42 PM   #19
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I finally found where it comes from. Pyramid 3/34 p.24 Extreme Damage.

"... the per-die damage bonuses for Brawling (+1/die) and Karate [and Boxing] (+2/die) can be overpowering. To mitigate this, consider capping them at +7 for Brawling or +14 for Karate [and Boxing]."

While I am not using extreme damage, I find this useful in a super game to call +1/die and +2/die bonuses at +7 and +14.
I just hunted down this thread to say that I've added an option for this, kind of. What I did is include an option to cap the dice value returned from the functions that return base dice, with a default cap of 7 (but you can set it yourself). Since the Brawling, Boxing, and Karate bonuses all use that function, this effectively allows for that. However, it would also affect Weapon Master bonuses or anything else that uses those functions.

Anyway, it'll be available when the next release comes out.