Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: [Mass Combat] The main battle of Pandora in GURPS MC terms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
It may be simpler to just do a quick contest, but this is really just a excercise in how the rules can be applied. Someone comes up with a fun idea, to see how one could use the Mass Combat rules to represent something. Coming into the middle of it just to say that you shouldn't bother using those rules isn't exactly helpful.
In that case I'll either shut up or try to be useful.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos

Last edited by Þorkell; 12-29-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #22
Phoenix_Dragon

Hrm... Might have came off a little more hostile than I intended, sorry.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #23
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Hrm... Might have came off a little more hostile than I intended, sorry.
Nah, it was a fair comment. I was being a git.

Though thinking about it, are the human troops average quality? We have no idea how The Company recruits. Though considering that Jake and Col. Q. were Recon Marines they probably go for higher quality troops. But have they kept up their skills? Is the lack of a chain of command on the human side a factor (at least we never see who is his second in command, I assume it's the guy who went with the walkers?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #24
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
Though thinking about it, are the human troops average quality? We have no idea how The Company recruits. Though considering that Jake and Col. Q. were Recon Marines they probably go for higher quality troops. But have they kept up their skills? Is the lack of a chain of command on the human side a factor (at least we never see who is his second in command, I assume it's the guy who went with the walkers?
Hard to say, really. So many factors go into it. Considering the location, it wouldn't surprise me if training were lacking (I don't remember seeing a rifle range even, though that hardly means there wasn't one), and drawing from multiple sources for troops can degrade quality if it causes any complications, even relatively minor seeming ones. Then there's the issue of possible political/corporate interference (The company was the one calling the shots, even if Quaritch had enough badass in him to get their guy to play along most of the time). And it's probably been years since they've been involved in a serious conflict. On the other hand, they could have also been the pick of the litter, all the best soldiers from various hot-spots back on earth (Several of them were apparantly involved in some very serious stuff back home).

Overall, though, I just went with what it looked like. The individual soldiers fought competently. There wasn't anything that seemed exceptional about their skill, discipline, etc, but none of it seemed lacking. Average seemed about right, but it's hard to tell for sure.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Well, the Drill said it's gonna be Hell compared to any conflict they fought in. Then again, I'm not sure we can trust his words.

Tags