Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
NightHawk

Default INFINATE W∞rlds

Is it possible to take the Infinate worlds setting and apply a stargate type theme to it?

You will have to excuse me I just purchased the book and will not make it through the entirety for a few days.

For those that have read it already and are more experienced with GURPS than myself I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
hjo3

Default Re: INFINATE W∞rlds

Stargate theme? Like going to new worlds every week and trying to thwart an evil faction while making nice with natives and looking for allies? Yeah.

EDIT: BTW, if you really want to play a "Stargate-themed" game, you could actually buy the Stargate SG-1 Role-Playing Game.

Last edited by hjo3; 03-11-2005 at 04:07 PM.
hjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
LoneWolf23k

Heck, as soon as I get my hands on Infinite Worlds, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Of course, my approach for Homeline and Infinity Unlimited is to make it less exploitive and more Federation-like...

Edit: Makes more sense to me, actually: Since Homeline's biggest problem is it's parachronic range, why not encourage the creation of allies at the outer edges of it's range with similar parachronic technology, so as to use them as expansion points?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
CraigR

I'm working on a space-opera/fantasy campaign using interdimensional space as the equivalent on interstellar space. The Infinity setting will be a small part of that.
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Rasputin

Default Re: INFINITE Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjo3
EDIT: BTW, if you really want to play a "Stargate-themed" game, you could actually buy the Stargate SG-1 Role-Playing Game.
I've played it. The game was fun because the GM was great, but the book ... if you're a fan of the show, it's an awfully good show guide. But finding any game stuff in the book is an absolute nightmare. Half the equipment is undetailed, and the feat system it uses is asinine, filled with unnecessary subcategories.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 03-12-2005 at 01:21 PM. Reason: The lazy eight won't work ...
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjo3
Stargate theme? Like going to new worlds every week and trying to thwart an evil faction while making nice with natives and looking for allies? Yeah.

Yes this is the idea I like the infinate worlds so much though i might do a gate that both jumps worlds as well as timelines. put a Gurps spin on it so to speak.

After all wouldn't be interesting to jump to alternate timelines that have say The system lords running the show. or how about everyone has a symbiote lol.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!

Last edited by NightHawk; 03-13-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
Lord_Kjeran

Chello!

I know that's how I plan on running IW....more like Stargate, less like the Federation. I honestly can't see 21st C. Humans being wise and benevolent with this type of technology. Exploit the bee-jesus out of it? Oh yeah.

Tony

Q: GM, are you using the d20 rules system?
A: No. GURPS is fun. D20 games are not fun. The GM says so.

Playing d20/3.5 makes Baby Jesus cry.
Lord_Kjeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
NightHawk

What would you base the gates on? Magic gates perhaps but mixed with Technology?

Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Lord_Kjeran

Chello again!

Well, wasn't it Heinlein (or was it Clark) who said "Advanced technologfy is indistinguishable from magic"? My interp. has always been that the SG gates is just really advanced tech...ymmv. (Note, I'm not clear on canon regarding this...I've seen the movie and watch the series occasionally.)

If it is magic, then base world has to have at least low mana availabilty...hmmm...that would explain problems with the use of the Gate.

tony

Q: GM, are you using the d20 rules system?
A: No. GURPS is fun. D20 games are not fun. The GM says so.

Playing d20/3.5 makes Baby Jesus cry.
Lord_Kjeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Jürgen Hubert

Reich-5 essentially uses something similar to a stargate, though one they built themselves - oh, and it is pretty icky, too.

Fitting in something like a Stargate into Infinite Worlds would be no problem at all, as long as it only allows you to move to alternate Earths. All you need to figure out who built it, and why (or you might come up with the reason later in the campaign).

It could be a reality shard as well...

Tags
infinite worlds