Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
HeroPenguin

Default Re: Infinite Worlds

... I need this book. T_T
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
pollyjumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kjeran

I've always thought the greatest tragedy of WW2 was Hitler himself. He had the ability and potential to be a great force for Light, but he folloed the path of Darkness. Imagine what that Will could have accomplished for good.
IMHO, Hitler was a paragon of mediocrity, a buffoon, an incompetent and blowhard, who happened to find himself in a society whose enfeebled politicians and exhausted economy served to catalyse his crude exploitation of human prejudice and fear as a means to power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kjeran

Besides, everyone dislikes the French!
If by everyone you mean Americans with crippling inferiority complexes, then yes. :)

Last edited by pollyjumped; 03-06-2005 at 07:00 PM.
pollyjumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyjumped
If by everyone you mean Americans with crippling inferiority complexes, then yes. :)
Please, if anyone's got inferiority complexes, it's the french in regards to the americans. After all, France used to be regarded as the world's leader in terms of western culture and civilisation. Nowadays, the US is the world leader in terms of western culture and civilisation.

I've seen french media, and trust me; the americans don't bash the french nearly as much as the french bash the americans.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #14
angel_lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
I've seen french media, and trust me; the americans don't bash the french nearly as much as the french bash the americans.
Personally, I think in terms of bashing people of other nationalities - we all too often allow the people in media to voice opinions for us. ON both sides of the Pond the constant bashing of people you generally don't know all that much about on a person to person level is - well, it's rather tedious.
angel_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #15
LoneWolf23k

And back on topic, I plan on modifying my take on Homeline by making it a bit more benign, with more of a Federation attitude towards technological timelines and the discovery of parachronic sciences. Basically, inhabited timelines are usually studied in secrecy, and if a Parallel develops Parachronic technology, it is contacted by Homeline and offered partnership in Infinity Inc.

Of course, it does keep Coventry as a parachronic prison world for world jumper criminals and other "beyond the pale" type criminals..
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
Ack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
I might, too, if it weren't for one important detail. Centrum is opposed to rapid technological advancement.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing. They are justified in their viewpoint, given the history of their world. And when tech advances past the ability of the people to assimilate, understand and adapt to it, then you get problems.

It might seem that rapid technological advances might be an advantage in a wartime situation, but this is also not necessarily the case. Specifically, in World War II (our timeline) Germany invested many thousands of man-hours in developing 'super-weapons' such as the Me 262 jet fighter, the Me 163 Komet and the V-1 flying bomb. Even Japan was developing the Shinden fighter in 1945.

None of these had an appreciable effect on their chances to win the war, and the resources these diverted could have been spent much more effectively elsewhere. It's much more efficient to improve the technology you have than to try for entirely new technology - unless, of course, you have more or less unlimited time and resources to play with.

Cheers,
Ack
Ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #17
pollyjumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
Please, if anyone's got inferiority complexes, it's the french in regards to the americans. After all, France used to be regarded as the world's leader in terms of western culture and civilisation. Nowadays, the US is the world leader in terms of western culture and civilisation.

I don't doubt that there is a degree of irrational hatred towards Americans on the part of certain sections of the French public, and vice versa, and I apologise if my comment caused offence. However, an inferiority complex stems from the perception of inferiority, not its actuality, and the fact that the USA was the 20th century's economic and military powerhouse does not mean that certain Americans could not labour under the delusion of one.

I do take issue with your claim that the US is the world leader in terms of western culture and civilisation. That may indeed be the prevailing belief, but it's perhaps not quite an accurate one. Take a look at this article.

Last edited by pollyjumped; 03-06-2005 at 07:29 PM.
pollyjumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #18
AOTA

OK kids lets get back on topic.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #19
RogerBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla
OK kids lets get back on topic.
To stay off topic a little bit longer...

If you are the checker for Prime Directive... when the hell is Romulans going to come out? I thought the release was supposed to be February. Also, how about the 4th edition versions of Prime Directive and Klingongs?

Roger Bacon
RogerBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #20
angel_lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBacon
To stay off topic a little bit longer...

If you are the checker for Prime Directive... when the hell is Romulans going to come out? I thought the release was supposed to be February. Also, how about the 4th edition versions of Prime Directive and Klingongs?

Roger Bacon
According to this... it looks like the 4e vesions are available already. I could be wrong though.

http://www.starfleetstore.com/MERCHA...egory_Code=GPD
angel_lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds