Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Polydamas

Default Mass Combat Sample Forces: Bronze Age

As a trial of the Mass Combat rules, I used them to design troops for the Bronze Age fantasy campaign I'm running. The heroes are Sudrat mercenaries who have helped to take back the village of Batruna from a rival city. Shortly after they took the village, a strange army appeared outside it. The PCs are common soldiers, so the Mass Combat rules won't come into play, but what if they did?

First, I ignored the listing of Miners, Bowmen, and Heavy Infantry as TL 2. They are definitely TL 1, used in Egypt and Southwest Asia long before iron was common. I also decided that five chariots make up an element. Its suggested that one vehicle count as an element, but that's probably intended for modern ones with a crew of four or more. Also, an equal number of men in chariots are at least as effective as an equal number of light cavalry, but probably not five times as effective (which would be the effect if one chariot had the same TS as an Element of Horse Archers). And lastly, chariots in this setting are organized in fives and fifties, so its easy to convert armies into elements this way.

The army which the heroes are with consists of four types of troops:

Charioteers: For as long as anyone can remember, gentlemen in chariots have dominated warfare. They can scout and raid faster than infantry, panic opposing infantry or shoot them down from a distance, and dismount to fight as picked infantry in places where a chariot can't go. Battles are traditionally decided by a clash of chariots supported by skirmishers. Each chariot is pulled by two horses and carries a driver-shieldman and an archer. The chariot is loaded with composite bows, bronze-pointed arrows, and an assortment of axes, javelins, and swords. The charioteers wear bronze helmets and coats of scale armour. Most wear leather scales, some half leather and half bronze, and commanders wear all-bronze armour.

Game Stats: Charioteers are TL 1 Light Chariots. As elite professionals with some combat experience, they are Good troops. Their composite bows, armour, carefully bred horses, and well-made chariots count as Fine equipment. TS 5, Class F, Cv

Sudrats: These are warriors from the tribes in the hills to the south who serve for pay and loot. They make much more enthusiasic soldiers than the lowlanders, and have a variety of outdoor skills. Their equipment varies: most have a bundle of bronze-pointed javelins, a round small shield, a bronze shortsword, and possibly a bronze helmet or quilted linen armour. A few are archers with regular bows, or have a spear to back up their javelins. They fight in a loose swarm, shooting arrows and throwing javelins before charging. Their jobs are to scout, support the chariots, and lead assaults.

Game Stats: Sudrats could be rated as Light Infantry or Medium Infantry. I'll call them Light, since they are used to scout, and since a base TS 3 would make them a bit too effective. Most have lengthy combat experience, and are scornful of the lowland infantry, which makes them Good troops. Their swords, bits of armour, and reasonably consistent equipment counts as Good equipment for skirmishers. TS 4, Class Rec, Features Mercenary

Spearmen: Conscripts from Rubutu, armed with bronze spears, large rectangular shields, and knives, stone maces, or hatchets for sidearms. Most have a felt skullcap (DR 2 Light Layered Cloth from Low Tech) as well as ordinary clothing and sandals. Their jobs are to guard camps, stand in place during battle, and provide manpower in sieges and garrisons.

Game stats: Clearly, these are TL 1 Heavy Infantry. Their equipment is Basic. As long-service conscripts with a bit of combat experience, they are somewhere between Average and Inferior in quality. However, they aren't very enthusiastic, and they aren't expected to advance on the battlefield against equal opponents, so I'll call them Inferior. TS 2, Class -

Archers: Conscripts from Rubutu, armed with regular bows, bronze-pointed arrows, and maces. They wear felt skullcaps and ordinary clothing and sandals. Their jobs are to guard the camp, discourage chariots and skirmishers from getting too close to their spearmen, and shoot in sieges.

Game Stats: Archers are TL 1 Bowmen. Their equipment is Basic, and their training is Average. TS 2, Class F

All in all, this seems reasonable. Element for element, charioteers are the most effective troops, and they can contribute to Fire superiority as well as being the only troops which matter for Cavalry superiority. The different types of infantry have strengths and weaknesses (Sudrats are worth the most TS each and provide Rec, Spearmen are the cheapest per unit of TS, and archers provide F).

[I claim copyright to this post]

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronze age, fantasy, mass combat, worldbuilding