Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default Call for Playtesters: GURPS Horror

Call for Playtesters: GURPS Horror

The stars are right for another manifestation of that Unspeakable Evil, GURPS Horror! Penned by illuminatus Kenneth Hite, this grimoire reveals the arcane secrets of running a successful horror campaign. Extensive advice to players and GMs is key, but this is bolstered by a plethora of bone-snapping crunch that demands careful experimentation: monstrous abilities, statistics for a legion of dreadful Things, tools for fools who would hunt these Horrors, and enhanced rules for fear, madness, and Horrid Tumors.

When we last cast the bones, we learned that the stars would move into alignment on July 10 and remain that way until August 11. If you are a horror-steeped Adept of GURPS and available during that period, then we could use your help in the ritual circle. The only hard requirement is sufficient sacrifices to Plutus: Playtesters must be registered e23 customers who have spent more than $50 at e23 in the past 12 months.

Experience is always an asset in such grim matters, though! At minimum, the Whispering Voices expect you to be conversant with the GURPS Basic Set. Facility with theses on eldritch powers -- especially GURPS Powers and GURPS Thaumatology -- is another thing that They regard favorably. Familiarity with even older writings, particularly past incarnations of GURPS Horror, is also valuable. Finally, as there are so many creatures here, those who have previously demonstrated a gift for deciphering The Numbers That Describe The Beast (i.e., checking stats) will move to the top of the queue.

Prospective playtesters should e-mail jwilson@io.com with [GH] in the subject. Include your preferred e-mail address for the hermetic playtest mailing list, correct spelling of your name as it may appear in print (True Name optional), your e23 login name, and a few words on why we would want to be down a dark cellar with you: qualifications, experience, etc. relevant to horror gaming. Also tell us your favorite work of horror -- be it comic, film, novel, RPG, television show, or video game -- since 1999, as well as your favorite of all time. Please submit in this format:

Quote:
johndoe@etheremail.com
Jonathan Doe
johndoegamer
I'm a longtime credited playtester. I have an ongoing GURPS horror campaign about a group of FBI agents who accumulate evidence of the supernatural. I have a collection of American and Asian horror movies totaling more than 200 DVDs. One of my players is a semi-professional "ghost hunter." My favorite post-1999 horror work is The Grudge, and my favorite horror work of all time is Tales from the Darkside.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Horror

Will this be a PDF supplement as well, or hardback supplement?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Max Schreck

Default It's a new colour hardback.

That was covered in this thread.

Cheers,

Max
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
Ragitsu
Banned

YES! Thank you, thank you, thank you. With any luck, i'll have enough experience the next time a playtest comes around.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
pawsplay

Be afraid, be very afraid. From ancient dreams awakens an aquatic koala...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Spudzill

Interesting. The PDF of Lost Worlds mentions a world based on the aftermath of H.G. Wells War of the Worlds and then references Gurps Horror. I own both 2nd and 3rd ed. Horror and this world is not mentioned so I have assumed it is featured in the new book.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudzill View Post
The PDF of Lost Worlds mentions a world based on the aftermath of H.G. Wells War of the Worlds and then references Gurps Horror. I own both 2nd and 3rd ed. Horror and this world is not mentioned
You might want to re-check Horror 3e, specifically p. 111, the "Blood in the Craters" setting.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Polydamas

Wow, another playtest! Go SJG. There is a lot of cool stuff in the pipeline right now. But we should have realized that the playtests were a distraction while deeper and darker schemes unfolded towards a purpose which no sane human mind can comprehend ...

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Figleaf23
Banned

I'm very impressed with the SJG GURPS pipeline. You guys are cranking it out!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
eclipsek

I would so love to playtest this.... but sadly it would only work if hell froze over (hmmmm... this is horror, right)
Sadly my July and August are booked so full at the moment I couldn't squeeze anything else in with a shoe horn.

If you have any specific horror related genetics geek questions, I'd be happy to answer a few email questions during the playtest though. I've helped some friends through zombie-genetics-virus-bio-plague questions for games and for novels in the past; and I'm more then happy to give opinions about stuff that falls in the bio-horror category.
-Sue
Closed Thread