Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
Anders

Default [Sorcery] Need help with a spell

Quote:
This spell was developed by the Elven Genius Anderion in the Olden Days, and is used to fight undead and necromancers. The spell works in three different ways, depending on the target.
1. Corporeal Undead. If you succeed with a Quick Contest of Will, the magical energies that bind the undead's body are released. The body explodes in a cloud of dust, and the undead being is gone forever. (The spell has no effect on the Angel of Death, who is too mighty to be affected by mortal magic).
2. Non-corporeal Undead. If you succeed on a Quick Contest of Will, the undead is dispersed and cast back to the Realm of the Dead.
3. Living Necromancers. If you win a Quick Contest of Will, the necromancer suffers a powerful psychic burn-out. He must immediately make a Fright Check at -2. He permanently loses 1d IQ. In addition, he cannot use any magic for as many minutes as your Margin of Victory (minimum 1).
So this is what I've come up with:
Quote:
Statistics: Affliction 1 (Heart Attack, +300%; Accessibility: Undead Only, -50%; Link, +10%; Malediction 1, +100%; Sorcery, -25%; Touch, -20%) [42] + Affliction 1 (Attribute Penalty, 1d IQ, +35%; Accessibility, living necromancers, -50%; Does not work if caster is wearing iron, -10%; Extended Duration: Permanent, +150%; Link, +10%; Magical, -10%; Malediction 1, +100%; Touch, -20%) [36] + Terror 3 (Accessibility, Necromancers Only, -50%; Does not work if caster is wearing iron, -10%; Link, +10%; Magical, -10%; Touch, -20%) [10] + Neutralize: Magic (Accessibility: Necromancers Only, -50%; Does not work if caster is wearing iron, -10%; Link, +10%; Magical, -10%) [20] for a total cost of 108 points.
(Yes, Sorcery is worth -25% in this world, because reasons. That is not important).

The problem I have at the moment is that the target would get to make separate resistance rolls against all the different effects. That's no problem for the undead, but for necromancers... they get to make two separate Quick Contests of Will (for Affliction and Neutralize). I would want them to make one Contest, win or lose. But there's no mechanism for nullifying resistance rolls, and I think that's wise.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [Sorcery] Need help with a spell

Using a single roll for multiple cases of resistance is going to be a Feature, so you can just note "Use a single QC of Will to determine the effects" and be done with it.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
A Ladder

Why not have the Undead destroy effect and the Necromancer psychic burnout be two different spells? Just a thought.

Also, don't you need a Cosmic +50% to affect undead with Heart Attack? IDHMBWM but I seem to remember undead having no vitals.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Why not have the Undead destroy effect and the Necromancer psychic burnout be two different spells? Just a thought.
Well, I'm translating from an existing game so I'd rather not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
Also, don't you need a Cosmic +50% to affect undead with Heart Attack? IDHMBWM but I seem to remember undead having no vitals.
Heart Attack is the generic "instant-kill" effect. I use it for anything that puts a foe down more or less permanently. This is intended as the "major smackdown" spell for the nature mages. :o)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
Humabout

Fwiw, IT Unliving does not include No Vitals. A car can have a "heart attack" when its engine block siezes, frex. How the OP builds his undead will determine if Heart Attack can do anything to them. Of course if they have No Vitals, then yeah, needs a Cosmic in there.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So this is what I've come up with:

(Yes, Sorcery is worth -25% in this world, because reasons. That is not important).

The problem I have at the moment is that the target would get to make separate resistance rolls against all the different effects. That's no problem for the undead, but for necromancers... they get to make two separate Quick Contests of Will (for Affliction and Neutralize). I would want them to make one Contest, win or lose. But there's no mechanism for nullifying resistance rolls, and I think that's wise.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.
GURPS Psionic Powers has the Exoteleport power which let's you use a single combined roll for distance penalties for the afflicted advantage and the affliction. Honestly, I don't see an issue with allowing a single roll vs. all effects that apply. Pro: If you fail your roll then you get hit with everything that works. Con: If you succeed nothing works. That balances things out to my sensibilities. So, a feature requiring Link on all traits. If you feel there needs to be a cost charge +20% on the links and be done with it. (My justification there is using "Based on Attribute" to base the roll on a another resistance roll vs. any attribute. Since you're paying +20% additional on each ability I don't see how it could get out of hand.)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
Anders

Thanks. I have a tendency to overthink things.

Tags
sorcery