Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Modern government (GURPS terms)

Note this isn't related to a game I'm playing. I'm just curious for what resources I might have available to read.

When did modern centralized government happen (modern bureaucracy, government buildings near the throne, educated workforce, etc.)? Leaving aside the ancient Chinese. :-) (I'm thinking Louis XIV, the Sun King.)

What TL would that be? Would this be discussed in LT Compendiums?

Other question, when did national military academies get started? Is that LT or HT? Would it be in the LT Compendiums, too?
Old 11-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Modern government (GURPS terms)

Depends what you mean by modern centralized governments. The ability to run a centralized bureaucracy effectively is limited by communications and bookkeeping so TL 2 central governments (such as Rome) were highly dependent on regional governors, and that probably remains true up until sometime in TL 5.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm mostly remembering my Cities in Civilization class (almost 30 years ago), where would look at maps of cities and be able to hypothesize about the city's history based on features on the map. (E.g., a wide boulevard making a circuit in the center of town could mean the city had been rich enough in the Medieval times to have built a wall, then outgrown it; the old wall was then torn down and a street put in its place).

One feature is the construction of large government buildings near the seat of power, as the balance of power shifts from regional powers to the centralized government.

(Cities in Civilization by Sir Peter Hall, recommended book.)
Old 11-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
ravenfish

The word bureaucracy ("rule by desks") was coined during the reign of Louis the Fifteenth by Jacques Claude Marie Vincent de Gournay. The thing itself is more or less as old as civilization- a substantial portion of the surviving writing from ancient Mesopotamia would be government paperwork if it wasn't government claywork instead, and scholars were deeply disappointed to learn, on deciphering Linear B, that the surviving corpus of work consists almost entirely of warehouse inventories-, but has of course changed in nature over the centuries.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
One feature is the construction of large government buildings near the seat of power, as the balance of power shifts from regional powers to the centralized government.
Well, the Roman Forum is an example, and probably not the oldest, just easy for me to locate.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Phantasm

Low-Tech Companion I is the LTC that covers governments.

That said, I'd put the advent of the "modern" centralized government on a large scale somewhere between 1200 and 1500 CE, as increased central authority one of the hallmarks of the "early modern" era. The Ottoman and Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empires had centralized governments from around 1000 CE or possibly even earlier.

It's not often easy to tell when a region went from a decentralized feudal system to a centralized monarchy or republic.

(Ironically, the United States is both a centralized and a decentralized polity, much like the Holy Roman Empire had become before the Napoleonic Wars changed the European political landscape. We have both the federal government (centralized) and fifty semi-independent state governments (essentially decentralized) who don't answer directly to the federal.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-29-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Low-Tech Compendium I is the LTC that covers governments.

That said, I'd put the advent of the "modern" centralized government on a large scale somewhere between 1200 and 1500 CE, as increased central authority one of the hallmarks of the "early modern" era. The Ottoman and Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empires had centralized governments from around 1000 CE or possibly even earlier.
I'm pretty sure you could put some of the Egyptian dynasties into the centralized government bracket, but Egypt with its single line of power (the Nile) is something of a special case.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
The word bureaucracy ("rule by desks") was coined during the reign of Louis the Fifteenth by Jacques Claude Marie Vincent de Gournay. The thing itself is more or less as old as civilization- a substantial portion of the surviving writing from ancient Mesopotamia would be government paperwork if it wasn't government claywork instead, and scholars were deeply disappointed to learn, on deciphering Linear B, that the surviving corpus of work consists almost entirely of warehouse inventories-, but has of course changed in nature over the centuries.
Writing is a difficult practice, so you dedicate it to the really important stuff. The earliest person known by name is Kushim, the guy in charge of the beer in Uruk, Sumer around 52 centuries ago (assuming Kushim isn't just a lost word for "guy in charge of the beer").

Last edited by RyanW; 11-11-2020 at 10:52 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
Michele

I suppose it's a matter of semantics, too.

First thing, how do you define a "bureaucratic government"? If by that you mean a system in which bureaucrats wield significant/undue decision-making power, as opposed to administrative duties, then already with the Egyptian scribes you have something like that, and with the late-Empire Roman liberti working for the Emperor. That depended on the Pharaoh and Emperor, of course, but they often did not want to deal with "details".

But then, how do you define "modern"? Because, obviously, the two examples above aren't modern.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
The Colonel

England tends to look towards the Tudors for the rise of professional government: Henry VII started the development of a post feudal army, Henry VIII promoted commoners to become professional holders of the offices of state and the process was continued by his daughter Elizabeth. On the other hand, we have to wait quite a bit longer to establish parliamentary supremacy over the crown.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote