Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
mirshush4

Default question about backpack

hello. i am new to munchkin.
i got a question. do you keep cards like potions, rings in your hand? or you put it turn on its side near your equipment on the table (like backpack)?
thank you for your time.
mirshush4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
edge970

Default Re: question about backpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirshush4 View Post
hello. i am new to munchkin.
i got a question. do you keep cards like potions, rings in your hand? or you put it turn on its side near your equipment on the table (like backpack)?
thank you for your time.
You can play cards in front of you that have a gold piece value, or NO VALUE, written on the bottom of the card (in addition to classes, races, etc).

Of course, you may only have one BIG item in the cards in front of you (unless of course another card states you may have more).

Hope this helps.

(I don't think they like to use the term backpack. It's just items you're "carrying" which is in essence, a backpack in the way you're thinking)
edge970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

To explain why we don't like "backpack": The term is not defined in the rules, and I have encountered 4 different definitions in the wild. This means that without a clear definition of the term, it could mean anything to anyone, and therefore is confusing, not helpful.

The rules say that you can have any number of small Items, and one big Item, in play. As said before, Items always have a gold piece value, which includes the phrase "No Value." The rules also say that you can play one-shot Items (like potions) from your hand or from your Items in front of you. Finally, the rules tell you that you can play Items that you can't use, so extras (like a second Headgear Item), or Items you couldn't use because you don't have the right Race or Class can be kept in play in front of you, but must be turned sideways to show you're not using them for a bonus. All of those things add up to meaning you can have even one-shot Items (since they are Items), like potions or Wishing Ring, out in play in front of you.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 09-12-2014 at 04:58 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Packerhavoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The rules say that you can have any number of small Items, and one big Item, in play. As said before, Items always have a gold piece value, which includes the phrase "No Value." The rules also say that you can play one-shot Items (like potions) from your hand or from your Items in front of you. Finally, the rules tell you that you can play Items that you can't use, so extras (like a second Headgear Item), or Items you couldn't use because you don't have the right Race or Class can be kept in play in front of you, but must be turned sideways to show you're not using them for a bonus. All of those things add up to meaning you can have even one-shot Items (since they are Items), like potions or Wishing Ring, out in play in front of you.
Would this cause a conflict with the rules still?
The rules say that you cannot change an item from a carried state to a used state during combat. Which leads me to think that if you are carrying a one shot item, then you can not use that item to increase your strength to beat a monster(s)
am I wrong in this thinking?
Or would you place one shot items in a used state and choose weather or not to add the bonus to combat on a as needed basis? Or be forced to use it weather it was needed or not?
Packerhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerhavoc View Post
am I wrong in this thinking?
One-shot Items may be used whether they are in your hand or on the table; the "state" doesn't matter because, unlike permanent Items, one-shots cannot be equipped in the first place.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote