Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2020, 11:31 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Useful Low-Powered Abilities [Powers/Supers]

I believe that Talents would be -20% because they are a rather large subset of advantages. Maximum Duration is also probably not a legal limitation because Modular Abilities are transient rather than always on, as you have to use Concentrate to activate it (otherwise nearly every Modular Ability build would use it). Of course, this is subject to interpretation. A variation would be Modular Abilities 8 (Slotted Cosmic Powers; All-Out, -25%; Nuisance Effect, Backlash, Seizures, Resisted by HT, -50%; Trait-Limited, Skills Only, -10%) [8].

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 08-17-2020 at 11:39 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
naloth

Innate Attack 1d+2 (Toxic; Jet 0%; No Wounding -50%; Respiratory +50%; Side Effect - Choking +150%) [10]

A stream of choking gas that completely disrupts target's breathing if they fail an HT at -1 per full 2 points of damage rolled (avg 5 for a HT-2). Suffocation effects would last 20-HT minutes (basically death) unless someone assists you. This attack completely ignores DR, but only works unprotected breathing.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Respiratory without Area Effect or Cone would have to hit the face to take effect (Jet produces a 1" wide stream), so you would be at a -5 to hit. You also cannot combine Respiratory with Side Effect, as they are two mutually exclusive penetration modifiers. Additionally, the cost should be 16 CP, not 10 CP.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 08-20-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #24
AlexanderHowl

Ecstatic Touch: Toxic Attack 1d (Armor Divisor, /2, +50%; Damage Modifier, No Wounding, -50%; Melee, C, Dual, No Parry, -25%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%; Side Effect, Ecstasy, +150%) [10]. Notes: The practitioner lightly touches their target, sending them into an ecstatic state if they fail a HT (- [half rolled damage]) roll.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #25
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Respiratory without Area Effect or Cone would have to hit the face to take effect (Jet produces a 1" wide stream), so you would be at a -5 to hit.
The only requirement is that it needs to be inhaled. Area and Cone both seem like overkill for a single target, though either is manageable.

Quote:
You also cannot combine Respiratory with Side Effect, as they are two mutually exclusive penetration modifiers.
Side Effect isn't a penetration modifier, though it does limit typically limit you to just AP. A GM could permit it, though, since Respiratory is pretty close to Cosmic Ignores DR (+300%) limited by (Must be inhaled, victim can hold their breath, thwarted by any respiratory protection -80%) which totals +60%.

Quote:
Additionally, the cost should be 16 CP, not 10 CP.
Ah, typed 1.5 instead of 2.5. It just reduces the level instead.

Easily modified:
Innate Attack 2 pts (Toxic; Cosmic Ignores DR +200%; Jet 0%; No Wounding -50%; Side Effect - Choking +150%). (Base 4 * .6, +300%) [10]

Now you can't hold your breath to avoid it. It's more like a death curse that you blow on someone to cause them to stop breathing (HT-1 to avoid, otherwise choking for 20-HT min).
Old 08-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #26
AlexanderHowl

It is still not legal by RAW. Cosmic, Ignores DR, which is +300%, not +200%, is a penetration modifier that is not Armor Divisor, so it cannot be combined with Side Effect (the cost would also be 12 CP). Though Choking is technically allowed by RAW, I am also hesitant to allow an Incapacitation to function as a Mortal Condition, as no other Incapacitation causes death (in my own games, Choking Afflictions cause 1 FP per minute, to bring it into line with Agony and Ecstasy Afflictions).
Old 08-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #27
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
It is still not legal by RAW. Cosmic, Ignores DR, which is +300%, not +200%, is a penetration modifier that is not Armor Divisor, so it cannot be combined with Side Effect.
Yes, it should have been +300% which means it will have to only do 1 point of damage for a total of 6 points (making it a straight HT roll instead of HT-1).

As for the second point, Cosmic: Ignores DR is incompatible with penetration modifiers but it doesn't have the key words that it is a penetration modifier. Since none of the other 3 modifiers are either, it's raw legal.

Quote:
Though Choking is technically allowed by RAW, I am also hesitant to allow an Incapacitation to function as a Mortal Condition, as no other Incapacitation causes death (in my own games
That is the fun of using choking. It's cheap and quite deadly.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #28
Plane

I have a super cool idea in mind.

HEALING [30]

Capped +25% (max 2 FP can be spent to heal 4 HP)
Requires Easy Skill Roll +5%
Immediate Preparation Required: 1 minute -30%

Requires material component -10%
Requires grapple -10%
Injuries Only -20%
Reduced Fatigue Cost 2 +40%
You'll notice the modifiers all cancel out to base cost.

I actually only want 1 HP to be healed (instead of 4) at the end of the minute though, so I'm thinking just cut this cost in quarter to be about 8 points.

If that's not legal, I'm thinking maybe taking "Weakened Without 8 Hours Preparation -40%" from B114 with no intention at all of using it at full strength, just using it to get it to half power and save points, in which case 2/5 of 30 is 12 so it's down to 18...

I need to halve the power a 2nd time so I'll take another version... B110 Weakened Under Stress -30% saves another 9 points bringing it down to 8... SUCCESS

Which is I guess the point value of Bandaging from B424?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:05 AM   #29
Anders

Capped is -25%, isn't it?
Old 08-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #30
AlexanderHowl

It is more than 10 CP, so it exceeds the guidelines of the original post (I am also not quite sure what, if any, utility it has over First Aid). For example, the following would be legal:

Healing Kiss (-80%): Healing (All-Out, -25%; Backlash, Euphoria, Resisted by HT, -15%; Blood Agent, -40%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Psionic, -10%; Takes Extra Time 2, -20%; Takes Recharge, 20 seconds, -20%) [6]. Notes: The character kisses the target deeply for four seconds (usually on the mouth) before healing them. While exhausting, the character is capable of healing almost most injury and curing most diseases without fail.

Tags
powers, supers