Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #21
Leonidas
Banned

Default Re: OGRE IN ITALY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
A great report Leonidas, well done for getting your father to play.

Keep up the good work, and maybe it's worth compiling a list of games shops in Italy? Perhaps local shops near where you live first?
I am compiling the list these days. I will be done with Milan by the end of the weekend. I could extend the list to include Italian major cities, but I always prefer the approach start small and get bigger thereafter. What should I do next? Any ideas?

I just want the game to bloom, it is simply too good.

P.S. Tonight I will pay a visit to a friend of mine. I will carry OGRE Pocket Edition, which is simply "Perfect Zen" for these kind of occasions. I will report how the engagement went.

P.S.S. I just got the BATG. I have everything now. I am simply waiting for the Miniature set 1 (standard and reversed color) and the Battlefield KS. I am at peace with the Ogreverse...

Leonidas out.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #22
Leonidas
Banned

New simple battle report from Leonidas.

Yesterday night, I set up a game with friends using a bunch of stuff from ODE at my home. We used Laser turrets and Missile Crawlers.

We did a 1v1 between Vatican Guard and the Sons of Old Nassau. 30 Infantry and 29 Armor.
Luckily, no cruise missile reached the target hex as it was shot down at the very last. The game proceeded really smoothly. I helped both players with rules check and explanations. It was a very nice playtest!
We suspended the game declaring a marginal victory of the Sons of Old Nassau after counting VPs.

The players were pretty impressed by the quality of the components and find the game really entertaining and elegant.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #23
Leonidas
Banned

I tested the Ceasefire Collapse scenario from ODE with my brother. My Paneuropean units got trashed pretty badly. We played with no Ogres (first time ever), 18 infantry, and 16 armor. I picked the same size force for each player: 2 GEV, 2 GEV PC, 1 Superheavy (I love it!), 1 Howitzer, 1 Mobile Howitzer, 3 missie tanks, and 3 heavy tanks. It was a very tough game, decided by die rolls, mostly. The howitzers hit very hard, and infantries in forests provide excellent defensive positions (the city hex were rubbles as per the scenario instructions). I think we have to practice more to fully understand how to use the units at their best. However, besides the fact that I kept rolling 1s (i love the greek helmet but not thath much...), we have a really good time!

The Combine forces annihilated the Paneuropean army.

Combine force survived: 2 GEV Pc, 1 GEV, 12 Infantries, 1 Heavy Tank, 1 Howitzer.

Both Paneuropean CPs got destroyed. Evalutation: total loss!

Leonidas out, for now.

Last edited by Leonidas; 09-19-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 AM   #24
Leonidas
Banned

Incoming report +++++++

After a couple of OGRE/GEV games with a friend of mine who works in a tabeltop gaming store in the center of Milan, he asked his company to order a bunch of 6ED and Ogre reinforcement copies. The company did it. I cannot disclose names and trademarks, clearly.

However, I am thinking about the promoting the game in fairs/events here in Italy.

In April 2018, there will be a big event in Modena.

Please check the following link:

https://play-modena.it

They are already promoting it. Maybe someone from SJG or a hardcore OGRE fan, could participate with OGRE stuff.

I am willing to help!

1) I can contact the organization through friends and ask if there is a space/table for SJG;
2) I live in Milan, and I can help for temporary accommodation (for free). I have a nice bedroom in the house. I can get you from the airport etc....;
3) We can drive from Milan to Modena (2h drive) with my car (for free). I know some inexpensive hotels there (we share, this). I went to Modena last year to play in the FFG X-Wing Miniature game Italian Open;
4) I speak Italian and I know the game;
5) After and/or before the fair, you can stay at my house for a week (if you are interested in visiting Milan).
6) You can PM me to ask details, so I can give you all information you need about myself, my work, my familiy, my ogre collection, where I live etc...

Why am I doing this at 44 years old? I simply love OGRE.

If anyone of you is interested, please provide feedback. I will answer to everybody.

Leonidas out

end of report +++++++

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 09-27-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #25
Leonidas
Banned

++++++++
Incoming report from Leonidas

I finished the list for game shops in Milan. There are 4 shops which might be interested (one ordered some O6ED and Reinforcements copies already, as per my previous post).

PM me for info/details

End of Report.

++++++++
Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #26
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Keep up the awesome work. :-)
Old 12-05-2017, 12:49 AM   #27
Leonidas
Banned

Leonidas reporting.

I still have to try the BGG Zilla.

However, Italy is on nukes. I tried again a Ceasefire Collapse scenario, in the basic version, and we had a blast. We always use mirror armies.

At the end, after all the nuking, it came down to 5 inf v 5 inf. As no damage was done to the structure, so we wisely restored the ceasefire.

At the beginning, I engaged 4 GEVs v 4 GEVs on the far right of the battlefield. We both deployed the GEVs secretly, with the plant to sneak in and do damages to the cities and gain VP. It did not turn out well, as no one really prevailed on that filed because of bad rolls on both sides.

The Combine deployed in an advance position, and the HWT started blasting units. It was total destruction. Additionalňly, I have to admit that 6 INF in the woods are pretty resilient. They can take out a Heavy tank quite easily. The Mobile Howitzers are very strong, but in a mirror game it comes down to who kill it first. Advancing under artillery fire gave us a very sense of epic warfare. I staked too much, but I got very lucky on defense. The missile tanks performed pretty well. I use them as archers, and with that idea in mind, I can make the most of it.

On a final note. Every time I play Ogre with my friend there is this zen-like elegant taste in our mouth. There is no aggression (like in X-wing), no drama, no grudge. This happens only with Ogre. Maybe because it is a very fair game, maybe because of us, but there is always a sense smooth pleasure after the game. Like smoking a cigar after a battle. I do not know if this makes any sense to you.

Do you get the same feeling with Ogre compared to other games?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #28
Leonidas
Banned

Leonidas reporting ****

I played a couple of standard games “smash the CP” and although I trained a lot in solo mode with the rules outlined in the Ogre Book, I lost to a human player thnks to some really bad dice rolls while defending. I had no problem in smashing the CP, thankfully.

I also played an awesome game in a Scenario I invented my self on GEV maps. It’s called “targets go boom”. One MK III for each side, with the attacking force having 25% more armor and troops to push in. The defending force had two Lasers Towers. I am very happy because I put to good use the Target go Boom sheet, and such counters look very cool on the board. The scenario was very even (the defending ogre awakens at turn 5). It was a battle uncertain until the very final moment, and luckily I succeded in destroying everything (including a reactor). OGRE is the best wargame ever, simply put. Additionaly, the possibility to create your own game, and your own stories, adding any terraind/scenario feature you want, makes the whole experience incredibly rewarding and epic.

It’s a blast guys, it’s a blast!

Leonidas out for now.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #29
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Sounds like a good one! Want to post setup details?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #30
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Sounds like a good one! Want to post setup details?
I'll take this a step further . . . want to submit it as an Ogrezine article?

<grin>

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote