Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
ThoroughT

Default Runtime Error '5'

Hi,

I know there is a similar thread in this forum, but I think I've got a different problem.

I recently switched to Win7/x64, so I had to reinstall my GCA. I installed it according to instructions (as admin & such). On startup, I get "Runtime Error '5'". I've tried the proposed fixes (updating, reinstalling, rebooting, deleting the config file, praying to Cthulhu), to no avail.

Any more ideas? Help would be appreciated...

EDITH sayeth: The error seems to occur at "The new character is being initialized", at least that's where the load screen stops.

Last edited by ThoroughT; 10-05-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Missing information
ThoroughT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Runtime Error '5'

These days, that's usually a sign that something didn't actually get installed correctly, or that something isn't configured correctly.

You've already said you reinstalled, so that's good.

If you updated using the Patcher, I'd suggest trying that again. We've had some issues with others in the past where it didn't fully patch a particular installation, even when it seemed to do so. Also, make sure you have used the most recent Data File Update, also available on the GCA Update page.

In addition, or perhaps you should do this first, is to go into the GCA installation folder, and run the two little programs you'll find there called GCAClearAppData.EXE and GCAClearVirtualStore.EXE. GCAClearAppData will run and quit very quickly without any kind of interface, so you may not even notice it run. GCAClearVirtualStore should show you a window, at least, to let you know if it did anything. Together, these should clear out any files that might be mucking up GCA's settings, or things that Windows might be incorrectly caching that might be doing the same.

Hopefully one of those will fix things.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Bruno

A suggestion: before reinstalling and repatching,

a) reboot, and do your reinstall/repatch before doing anything else, just to make sure your system is as simple as possible
b) temporarily disable antivirus and antispyware software. Some of these accidentally interfere with installations of legitimate software out of well-meaning over-zealousness.

Then go through the GCAClearAppData and GCAClearVirtualStore process recommended by Armin, then try repatching.

Then don't forget to turn your antivirus/antispyware back on :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
ThoroughT

Thanks for the replies.

There seemed to be an issue with the datafiles; immediately after the first post-installation startup (after reading your replies, I decided just to try again), I received a request about new datafiles to be added; once that had run through, GCA started up normally (I had ignored it on earlier attempts, because at first try, it crashed GCA). I can't really tell which specific action did the trick, but it runs fine. Thanks again for the help, people! :)
ThoroughT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca, runtime error, support