Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #31
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Parry a Slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The first GURPS combat rules (Man to Man, first edition, maybe 2nd edition) had a Stop Thrust (optional?) rule, which is basically that if you've got a ready thrusting hand weapon which can parry, and someone advances towards you into range, you can use a parry as a stop thrust attack during their movement, which if it hits and they fail to defend (obviously if they use a Retreat defense, that stops their forward move), does maximum damage.
Martial Arts p108 has the current Stop Hit rules.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #32
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I think the issue with parrying heavy object breaking your weapon, is unless you are actually physically attached to your weapon, your grip will be weaker then your weapon which means your grip will 'break/fail' before your weapon does.
Maybe replace the weapon-breakage roll with a ST check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
I think the Stop Thrust is likely to do serious damage to the slammer (I certainly wouldn't rush at someone carrying a pointy thing unless I were wearing damn heavy armour) but the Slam would probably go through with an appropriate penalty for all that pain.

Rules as Written require a Wait to brace for a stop thrust but if you can see the slammer coming I'd say you've got the time to do that. If you're unaware or boggled by surprise then you don't.

So the guy with the flimsy sword's options are:

Stop Thrust and hope you drop him or slow his attack enough that the collision won't matter. Can you also dodge/parry? I'd say not: you're sacrificing that chance to use your enemy's momentum against him. Maybe going for a leg might make better tactical sense.

Dodge. And if you can make it Acrobatic or retreating do so.

Parry. And hope your expensive skinny sword doesn't snap.
Martial Arts p. 106, Dealing With Charging Foes, lists a Parry as giving you a bonus attack. Then uses Holding A Foe at Bay (Quick Contest of ST) for the foe to get closer, so this could represent him charging through the Parry (although he takes the damage first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Martial Arts p108 has the current Stop Hit rules.
I think those are separate from the Stop Thrust rules - because Martial Arts on p. 106 (Dealing With Charging Foes) also refers to using the stop thrust rules on B. p.366 instead of pointing the reader towards p. 108.

Essentially bracing for a Stop Thrust does +1 damage for every 2 squares of speed your opponent is moving at.

Last edited by Railstar; 11-03-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #33
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Martial Arts p. 106, Dealing With Charging Foes, lists a Parry as giving you a bonus attack. Then uses Holding A Foe at Bay (Quick Contest of ST) for the foe to get closer, so this could represent him charging through the Parry (although he takes the damage first).

I think those are separate from the Stop Thrust rules - because Martial Arts on p. 106 (Dealing With Charging Foes) also refers to using the stop thrust rules on B. p.366 instead of pointing the reader towards p. 108.

Essentially bracing for a Stop Thrust does +1 damage for every 2 squares of speed your opponent is moving at.
Good points.

I need to refamiliarize myself with those.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #34
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Submitted these a long time ago, so if they pass muster, they'll appear in Pyramid. If not, they'll appear on my blog, but that can be a long time in the dark.
Cool, cheers

TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Maybe replace the weapon-breakage roll with a ST check?
Could work, or maybe a skill roll after the parry to see if you retain a ready weapon (penalised by some factor of relative weight)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #35
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Could work, or maybe a skill roll after the parry to see if you retain a ready weapon (penalised by some factor of relative weight)
Split the difference and go for a ST or DX based skill roll.

Per additional multiple past 3 normally causes +1 to weapon breakage rolls, so in this case we could add a -1 to the skill check per additional multiple.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding a foe at bay, stop thrust