Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [DF] Basic Set, Low Tech or Bruno's Armor?

Low-Tech: Instant Armor will offer a bunch of prefabricated armor pieces for those who dislike using the tables in Low-Tech. It will turn a design system into a shopping list. You will still have to assemble your loadout yourself; you just won't have to design each piece.

Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor will present a bunch of armor loadouts for historically accurate warriors. It will let you gear up like a samurai or a Roman legionary or whatever by paying one price and noting one weight. In some cases, it may introduce items or options that were unique to a particular time and place.

They will not be the same supplement.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I'd think that Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor is a rebranding of Instant Armor, to keep in line with the Loadouts series. I could be wrong, but I'd not think these were two releases. Could be wrong, tho.
Nope -

Quote:
Dan Howard's Low-Tech: Instant Armor – the latest in Low-Tech support – is in final-draft form.
And: Kromm's LJ (last week)
Quote:
The first draft of GURPS Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor, by Dan Howard, arrived in house.
Definitely different items!

Last edited by SCAR; 07-15-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Ninja'ed by Kromm!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Low-Tech: Instant Armor will offer a bunch of prefabricated armor pieces for those who dislike using the tables in Low-Tech. It will turn a design system into a shopping list. You will still have to assemble your loadout yourself; you just won't have to design each piece.

Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor will present a bunch of armor loadouts for historically accurate warriors. It will let you gear up like a samurai or a Roman legionary or whatever by paying one price and noting one weight. In some cases, it may introduce items or options that were unique to a particular time and place.

Sweet! That's awesome. The titles seemed similar enough that what might ha' been a working title got switched, but I'm glad to see that I'm wrong about that!

Doug
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

During the setup of my brand-new DF game, I went with Bruno's armor sheet. I'd sort of forgotten that this would make Loudouts less useful.

I actually just emailed my players and said that I'd like to change back to the Basic Set armor weights. I do think they are too high (for metal armor) or too light (leather armor) but the goal of this DF game is to minimize the amount of outside work I need to do to keep it running.

I expect the guy who is making up a Knight with min-maxed layered armor with an absolute to-the-pound budget of weight will say no, but I'm hoping the lazier folks will outvote him. Otherwise, yeah, I'll need to convert all of DF 13 to make it as useful as it should be.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Well, I do use Low Tech armors, and while expensive, my players love it. Well, used to use, since we've moved to Monster Hunters for a while ;)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
OldSam

Quote:
A while ago there have been much discussion about armor weight problems in Low-Tech, but nothing new appeared in the official errata since that time, unless I missed something...?

Dan Howard mentioned some needed fixes here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=192

==> Will the new supplement/s Instant Armor and/or the Armor Loadouts use these or other fixed/improved values (errata?) for weight? Or will everything be like it is in the current printed version of Low-Tech? <==

Actually I'd really like to see a small official errata entry with Dan's fixes which he mentioned above, but in case that the current values from the printed Low-Tech are used, I assume it means there won't be any errata and all values are considered final, right?
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #17
DanHoward

There has been no official errata for this in Low-Tech. The stats in Instant Armor and Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor are consistent with the armour as it currently is in Low-Tech. Using existing stats the weights of the historical loadouts seem reasonable. It doesn't make much of a difference whether you revised the weight of scale and segmented or not.

Last edited by DanHoward; 07-18-2011 at 07:14 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:

Great ideas.

If I could suggest -- the Loadouts will be kind of gimped if they don't include the weapons side of the kit.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Sorry, but (1) the drafts are already written, so these are far beyond the "idea" stage, and (2) the intent is to focus on armor, not weapons, because it's the bit with the complex design rules.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, but (1) the drafts are already written, so these are far beyond the "idea" stage, and (2) the intent is to focus on armor, not weapons, because it's the bit with the complex design rules.
Don't worry, there's still time to get it right:

Quote:
draft   /dræft, drɑft/
–noun
...2. a first or preliminary form of any writing, subject to revision, copying, etc.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, loadouts