Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Going clubbin...

Rapier has Master Fencer, while there is no Club expertise.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
FireHorse

To be precise, my nitpick isn't really about the club. My nitpick is that there are no damage bonuses for high ST, except for the club, and that incongruity bothers me.

And I don't see the point of the argument that you should upgrade to another, bigger weapon when your ST goes up. It doesn't matter whether that bigger weapon has more damage potential than the smaller one — because using either weapon with higher ST should give it more damage potential than with lower ST.

Two different Warriors, both wielding identical weapons, and both with the same degree of Talent — the only difference between them is that one has ST X, and the other has ST 2X (or 3X, or whatever) — simply should not do the same amount of damage. Not to my mind, anyway.

So I favor a solution like the ones proposed by Skarg and TippetsTX, and I am concocting a similar solution for my own table.

I shall also venture a more useful definition for the Standard-Issue ITL Club, which apparently has the magical property of growing in size proportionate to its owner's muscles.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #13
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Rapier has Master Fencer, while there is no Club expertise.
There is in my game (see new CLUB/STAFF talent above).
Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
Axly Suregrip

I like JimmyPlenty's solution that clubs should have a -2 DX. Just fits being unskilled.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
TippetsTX

Expanding on my previous post, I am also playtesting the following changes...

1) HTH damage is shifted to a d3 base (I use specially numbered d6 dice, but the new d12/d3 dice from SJG also work well) and the damage progression is altered as follows:
ST 4-6 does 1d3-1
ST 7-9 does 1d3
ST 10-12 does 1d3+1
ST 13-15 does 1d3+2
ST 16-18 does 2d3
ST 19-21 does 2d3+1
etc.

2) Untrained barehanded damage is non-lethal (and I have changed the definition of 'non-lethal' to mean the equivalent of 'fatigue' damage, not half-damage). Using cestus will change non-lethal HTH damage to lethal as will training in any UC talent (but not BRAWLING).

3) Improvised weapons (NOT clubs) used in HTH will deal bonus damage based on their size. The typical range will be +1 to +3 added to the base HTH damage.

4) Clubs are treated as a distinct weapon class (covered by the CLUB/STAFF talent) with their own size-based damage progression as follows:
One-handed Club - 1d6-1 (min ST 6)
Two-handed Club - 2d6-2 (min ST 12)
Great Club (2H) - 3d6-3 (min ST 18)
Giant Club (only usable by 3-hex or larger figures) - 4d6-4 (min ST 24)
Giant Two-handed Club - 5d6-5 (min ST 30)